splitting a commercial service

Status
Not open for further replies.
can you please advise me on this. I am splitting a 1200 amp service. Currently a 400 amp feed out of this service is feeding an electrical room which I am going to turn into a new service. The 400 amp feed comes into the bottom of the 1200 amp switch gear. Seeing that the warehouse is being subdivided and already have approval to use existing elec room, can I pipe the existing 400 amp feed out of the side of the 1200 amp gear put a splice box in and put a new CT cabinet outside to pick up the new service. So the the new service would come from the edison trans to a CT then inside to a Jbox ,piped from there to existing pipe nipple in the 1200 amp gear thus utilizing the existing feed to the 400 amp service in the other elec rm. Have done this one other time in 28 years. I belive it is legal as long as the new service cable is in pipe. It would save me 500 feet of pipe and cable. It would be under the chicago code.
Thanks

wawireguy

Are the spaces being bought or rented from the property owner? Perhaps you can keep one service then meter the individual tenants for the owner.

rental reply

rental reply

good question but the 1200 amp service is already metered by the CT outside and the only power I need is one 400 amp feed going to an existing elec rm. Probably cheaper to give it its own service because you cant meter the same service twice

sparky=t

If I understand you correct you are bringing service inside and then back outside to a new CT set up and then back in to the existing electrical room?

Ocam's Razor

Ocam's Razor

The simplest solution is the best.

In a southwest suburb of Chicago I was asked to work on a renovation.

Opening up the wall of an enclosed porch, we discovered the original meter box, with a live spliced utility feed run back outside to a new meter pedestal and then the metered service fed to a Federal Pacific Stab Loc panel.

One could have easily pulled the meter and "assumed" the wiring inside the wall was "dead", only to be dead wrong.

What is the cost of kepping it simple and easy to comprehend compared with some one being hurt if there is confusion.

I know times are tough, but I would be wary of complicated solutions.

Gary Grizzle

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.