Spray booth fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Does the motor of a fan need to be rated for the area if it is not in the air stream? What about the whole assembly? We haven't done one before and will look at the project today. One of those "it will only be me using it until our new building is done at the end of summer." kind of projects. Like my inspector or the lawyers could care.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
... One of those "it will only be me using it until our new building is done at the end of summer." kind of projects. Like my inspector or the lawyers could care.
One of the most overlooked sections of the Code with respect to temporary installations is Section 590.2

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
One of the most overlooked sections of the Code with respect to temporary installations is Section 590.2

I will look. Thank you.

What he bought was a booth for the future building and expansion. Right now he will use less than 24 oz of paint per day from rattle cans. His words. He is not against doing it properly. The exerts of NFPA 33 that was included in the installation instructions indicate that small amount would exclude him from those provisions. He is not in a hurry so I do have time to read and discuss with my AHJ.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I will look. Thank you.

What he bought was a booth for the future building and expansion. Right now he will use less than 24 oz of paint per day from rattle cans. His words. He is not against doing it properly. The exerts of NFPA 33 that was included in the installation instructions indicate that small amount would exclude him from those provisions. He is not in a hurry so I do have time to read and discuss with my AHJ.
The problem with these situations is that despite everyone's good intentions, bad things can happen. At some point the rattle cans become a "really small air brush", and the next thing you know there's a full-fledged air hookup in the booth and guys with respirators painting up a storm.

Unless he's designing his own booth, the manufacturers have selected suitable equipment for the purpose. As far as I've seen, these prefabs go into spaces that aren't specially designed, except for maybe observing the classification of areas around the booth doors. So if he's using a temporary space he shouldn't have an issue as long as he's not cramming 10 pounds in a 5-pound sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.