Spray Room C1D1 exception

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a paint spraying room classified by Article 516.3 (C) (1) as C1D1, are there any code exceptions that would allow light fixtures mounted in excess of 10 Ft above the spray surface to be classified lower than C1D1?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
In a paint spraying room classified by Article 516.3 (C) (1) as C1D1, are there any code exceptions that would allow light fixtures mounted in excess of 10 Ft above the spray surface to be classified lower than C1D1?
No. The most common workaround is to install the luminaires outside the room with a window permitting the light.

No. The most common workaround is to install the luminaires outside the room with a window permitting the light.

Thanks, I have been wiring Industrial Paint Booths for years with the typical wall mounted outside fluorescent fixtures and supplemental C1D1 inside fixtures.

An electrician from a different area told me that he had installed STANDARD HID fixtures in a large industrial paint building because the fixtures were 12 foot above the highest point of the vessels being sprayed. To which I replied " your crazy ".

But, I started searching the code since I made such a "profound statement" to make sure I wasn't missing something!
mic

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Your original question stated the location was definitely classified Class I, Division 1. In that case, luminaries in the classification must be suitable for the classification.

It is conceivable that for, a relatively large open spray area, the area above isn't classified. See Figure 516.3(D)(1) for example. However, that it was 12' above the highest vessel sprayed wasn't relevant in itself. What is then relevant is that the location was properly classified as required by Section 500.4(A).

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Note: I referenced the 2014 NEC in my previous post. The Figure is 516.3(C)(1) in earlier versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.