Sprinkler Booster Pump in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

Hi all,
We're designing a residential building in New Jersey. The building will have a sprinkler booster pump. Does a sprinkler booster pump require a dedicated service switch to feed it? We're not sure if it needs a dedicated service switch or not.

Thanks!

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hi all,
We're designing a residential building in New Jersey. The building will have a sprinkler booster pump. Does a sprinkler booster pump require a dedicated service switch to feed it? We're not sure if it needs a dedicated service switch or not.

Thanks!

As mentioned by ptonsparky, you want to study 695. If you are not well versed in fire pumps you want to tread carefully as there are some very specific requirements.
In general, the typical install is a tap ahead of the service disconnect and running service conductors under the slab directly to the fire pump controller in the fire pump room. Connect the jockey to a house panel.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yep, depends on your definition of “booster pump”, which is not a term used in sprinkler systems. It’s going to be either a “Fire Pump” meaning it supplies all of the water for the sprinkler system, or a “Jockey Pump” meaning it is pressurizing the pipes just to deal with slow leaks in order to keep from triggering the Fire Pump. Jockey pumps do not need dedicated circuits.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I believe that they do.

If this is "residential", as in for your house, then the requirements of NFPA 13D could apply and you will not need a service tap, but you will probably need a dedicated circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
Things to consider, is it a listed fire pump assembly and associated controller or just a general purpose booster pump?

A side note - new requirement coming up in 2020 for outside disconnecting means - you would think you don't want such disconnect to interrupt fire sprinkler systems and associated components, or the water supply if it is powered by said disconnecting means - not so much a problem on municipal water systems unless pressure boosting is necessary.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Things to consider, is it a listed fire pump assembly and associated controller or just a general purpose booster pump?

A side note - new requirement coming up in 2020 for outside disconnecting means - you would think you don't want such disconnect to interrupt fire sprinkler systems and associated components, or the water supply if it is powered by said disconnecting means - not so much a problem on municipal water systems unless pressure boosting is necessary.

Just for one and two family dwellings...so far;)

not it sure how many have fire pumps.

kwired

Electron manager
Just for one and two family dwellings...so far;)

not it sure how many have fire pumps.

I know, not many have a true listed fire pump either unless it is a McMansion, which kind of isn't even a single/two family dwelling in most those cases.

Still think if you have fire sprinkler system that has any part powered it would be a bad design to have it disconnected by said outside disconnect intended for emergency responders. But then again if you have fire sprinklers they likely put the fire out before emergency responders get to the point of wanting to disconnect power on most single/two family dwellings, which is part of why you paid to install them in the first place I guess. Fire damage claim is lessened, now you have water damage claim to deal with:blink:

gadfly56

Occupation
I know, not many have a true listed fire pump either unless it is a McMansion, which kind of isn't even a single/two family dwelling in most those cases.

Still think if you have fire sprinkler system that has any part powered it would be a bad design to have it disconnected by said outside disconnect intended for emergency responders. But then again if you have fire sprinklers they likely put the fire out before emergency responders get to the point of wanting to disconnect power on most single/two family dwellings, which is part of why you paid to install them in the first place I guess. Fire damage claim is lessened, now you have water damage claim to deal with:blink:

See my post at #6 above. 13D will require that you put a sign at the disconnecting means for both the electric and water connections to prevent unknowing disabling of the fire protection system. I very much doubt that you will be allowed to put the "fire pump" tap ahead of the meter or service panel. IIRC, Ann Arundel county in Maryland requires sprinkler systems in all new residential construction. Maybe there's a sparky at the forum who can shed some light on this?

kwired

Electron manager
See my post at #6 above. 13D will require that you put a sign at the disconnecting means for both the electric and water connections to prevent unknowing disabling of the fire protection system. I very much doubt that you will be allowed to put the "fire pump" tap ahead of the meter or service panel. IIRC, Ann Arundel county in Maryland requires sprinkler systems in all new residential construction. Maybe there's a sparky at the forum who can shed some light on this?

Sprinkler system is one thing and usually fairly passive when it comes to requiring power to at least do it's basic function, listed fire pump applications have their own section in NEC and probably similar for other codes.

General purpose booster pump being used probably doesn't qualify it as a fire pump.

gadfly56

Occupation
Sprinkler system is one thing and usually fairly passive when it comes to requiring power to at least do it's basic function, listed fire pump applications have their own section in NEC and probably similar for other codes.

General purpose booster pump being used probably doesn't qualify it as a fire pump.

I was trying to make that point. A 13D system with a pump will NOT be an article 695 fire pump.

gadfly56

Occupation
Sprinkler systems in many buildings are more for life safety and are more likely to slow the spread of the fire than put it out.

Sprinkler systems in ALL buildings are not even for life safety. They are not there to keep you from dying. Smoke detectors and smoke alarms are life safety devices, they are meant to notify you in sufficient time to exit the building. In almost every case, a smoke detector will operate long before a sprinkler will. The purpose of sprinkler systems is to control, not put out, the fire until the fire department arrives. They are meant to save structures, not people.

A sprinkler system may put out a fire, but it is not designed to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.