Square D Circuit Breaker Surge Protectors mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

straps

I just did a sub-panel installation and intend to put the item in the both panels are side by side flush mounted any ideas on mounthe units they have a stATUS LIGHT IN THE MIDDLE AND COME WITH KO TYPE MOUNTS aNY IDEAS ON MOUNTING I HAVE A 2 POLE DESIGNATED 20 AMP CB DEDICATED TO EACH SUPRESSOR.
oRIGINAL IDEA WAS TO MOUNT THEM ALONGSIDE THE PANELS BUT EACH OCCUPIES A BAY IN BETWEEN ALUMINIUM STUDS BOTH PANELS HAVE BOTH SIDES COVERED WITH STUD.
wE THOUGHT ABOUT MOUNTING BELL BOXES ON THE CORNER OF THE PANELS AND THEN SCREWING THE DEVICES INTO THE BUTT ENDS OF THE BOXS BUT WOULD PROBABLY LOOK TACKY

ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME.

macmikeman

Re: Square D Circuit Breaker Surge Protectors mounting

Straps I am not sure if I understand everything here but, maybe a flush mounted screw cover box mounted under each panel would work? Like an 8" x8" x 4" nema 1 box or larger if needed.

If it is a Homeline panel, Square D makes a surge protector that snaps in like a breaker. It uses 2 full sized spaces. I believe that one device would protect both panels, even though installed in one. I have always thought that the surge suppressor product that you described was a poor design. Unless you have a surface mounted panel, it would be a pain to mount.

straps

Thanks mac I plan on useing a cut in box

The surge suppresor for square d can be used on any panel as it mounts thru a ko hole.
I plan on useing a cut=in box with industrial sg cover that has a ko allready in it.
Thanks guys
"Straps"

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Square D makes 2 pole "breaker style" surge arresstors for QO line as well as Homeline. Cheaper and easier than wiring from a dedicated breaker.

They used to sell a mounting strap that allowed you to mount the arrestor inside on of a QO panel.

allenwayne

I just finished a friends house and I used the breaker mount type .Sice Florida is the capitol of lightning strikes I guess I will see if it works.
While on the subject of lightning has anyone in this forum encountered a situation where all exposed grounding conductors in the panel have turned black also the neutrals that are terminated in the panel are also black.Cut that part off and shiney copper under insulation is there.
I feel that this is a result of what I will call a residual lightning strike uffer was energized and in turn gec was turned black as well as all exposed grounding conductors and exposed ungrounded conductors.
This has happened in about 12 homes within the past year and these were all found before a meter was set any ideas from the great knowledge we have here ;)

straps

Allewayne I work in South and Central Broward and Sunrise is the capital for lightning strikes yes you are right they do turn black both houses on either side of a strike I usually use a copper circular brush on a battery powered drill on the exposed items inside the panel I carry a half/doz copper bristled brushes for cleaning the oxidation off. Then I sell the customer a whole house surge suppressor and a individual square d surge suppresor on all sprinkler pumps, outside sub-panels, and boxes feeding outdoor lighting.
I have 1 lady she got hit 4 times in the past year zero lot line comunitys in Sunrise seem to get hit a lot.Inside I make them buy the $50 dollar surge strips from "COMP USA" they have a built in batery back up sorry the price is now up to 75 bucks on the surge strip/ufc

Regards from:
"SOUTH FLORIDA ROCKS" :cool: :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.