Square footage cost estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

foqnc

john37 said:
So my problem is since the project is in preliminary stages and haven't been designed yet I have no idea what is involved with the exception of knowing it's just going to be a facelift renovation.

That would be like my Boss asking for a Price on a controls system (PLC, Inverters, etc) for a machine we are going to build, only it hasn't been designed yet.
How do I know what I need if it hasn't been designed. :-?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
foqnc said:
That would be like my Boss asking for a Price on a controls system (PLC, Inverters, etc) for a machine we are going to build, only it hasn't been designed yet.
How do I know what I need if it hasn't been designed. :-?

Magic :cool:

jmsbrush

john37 said:
Thanks guys....I guess that answered my question! I'll try to get more information or just tell them we have to wait until we see a design first. I guess they just want some budget numbers....
You cant give them a budget if you don't know what they even want.

scwirenut

Ill just come right out and tell you, here in SC , you wont get more than
2.50-$3, I just started a 3800sq' house, price is $11000. things are not fancy here, all the builders bid their house by the foot so they expect you to do the same. Yes there is the rare occasion of a " special custom home where you might have cat5, occupancy sensors, decora devices, ect. but thats extremely rare. then I charge by the opening, usually $40.

480sparky

scwirenut said:
.... all the builders bid their house by the foot so they expect you to do the same .....

So even the plumbers, tinners, trim carpenters, and bricklayers price by the square foot? :confused:

peter

I saw an ad on Craig's List: "Electrical work. Everything $4 / sq. ft."
So I called him up and asked if he really meant it? "You bet." So I asked if all materials, etc. were included. "Sure thing."
Therefore I hired him to do just the service for my new house: panel, riser through the soffit [including jack], service cables. The total area was two square feet and the whole shebang cost me $8.
~Peter:rolleyes:

scwirenut

480sparky said:
So even the plumbers, tinners, trim carpenters, and bricklayers price by the square foot? :confused:

yep , they sure do, the GC pays for the plumbing fixtures, just like the light fixtures, trim carpenters are on hourly wages employed by GC, I dont know what a tinner is. . Brick layers are defiantly sq' but total not heated

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
peter said:
Therefore I hired him to do just the service for my new house: panel, riser through the soffit [including jack], service cables. The total area was two square feet and the whole shebang cost me $8.
He did it???

ceknight

john37 said:
Is there a simple way on doing general electrical cost estimate by square footage?

Yes, there is. For each project, you do a real estimate first. Then divide that estimate by the square footage of that project site.

Works every time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.