Square LED Retrofit Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

Many times in older houses, they used to install these highly-inefficient square-shaped recessed lights where they call for a 150W max bulb, and it looks like there's only a 60W in it. They are 10", perhaps 12", square.

Are there any square-shaped LED retrofit kits for these units? It would be nice to actually use one of those, rather than having to install an LED bulb inside of it, since it wouldn't put out much light due to the design of the fixture.

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
I've never seen or heard of a retrofit kit for them. I've always just retrofitted a box inside them and hung a low profile surface mount fixture over the top to cover the square hole.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Many times in older houses, they used to install these highly-inefficient square-shaped recessed lights where they call for a 150W max bulb, and it looks like there's only a 60W in it. They are 10", perhaps 12", square.

The thing about those old squares is that they were architecturally attractive in a time before thermal protection, at least in the area I've spent my career working in. They are rarely intact, having been badly over lamped at points in their lives.

Maybe the ones you are looking at haven't been abused. I've never seen one that I didn't recommend simply being completely removed.

JFletcher

The thing about those old squares is that they were architecturally attractive in a time before thermal protection, at least in the area I've spent my career working in. They are rarely intact, having been badly over lamped at points in their lives.

Maybe the ones you are looking at haven't been abused. I've never seen one that I didn't recommend simply being completely removed.

Same here. Put in a can light and have the HO repair the drywall. If the ceiling is textured or otherwise impossible to match with a patch, then they can either redo the whole thing or go with a surface mount light.

I dont know of any medallions or trims that would cover up / fit the existing boxes and a huge 14" trim isnt what any customer wants anyway (none Ive dealt with).

peter d

I take great satisfaction in removing those old square recessed lights. Usually they are torched to death anyway, from overlamping as Al mentioned. I actually found some brand new ones in the box once, they went directly into the scrap pile.

Electric-Light

The trim looks bigger on the Lowe's one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-...Fits-Housing-Diameter-5-in-or-6-in/1000064545

4, 5, 6 are nominal size of the can it is designed to go into. I would go into Lowe's and take a look. Actual performance and expectations really depends on the design efficiency and the conditions of the existing fixtures.

It's 10.5W 2700K 650 day-one lumen decaying to 455 lm after 35,000 hrs.

rather than having to install an LED bulb inside of it, since it wouldn't put out much light due to the design of the fixture.

It would be inappropriate to do so, because they're considered fully enclosed and the ballast will fold back or burn out.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The trim looks bigger on the Lowe's one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-...Fits-Housing-Diameter-5-in-or-6-in/1000064545

4, 5, 6 are nominal size of the can it is designed to go into. I would go into Lowe's and take a look. Actual performance and expectations really depends on the design efficiency and the conditions of the existing fixtures.

It's 10.5W 2700K 650 day-one lumen decaying to 455 lm after 35,000 hrs.

As MNSparky notes, these trims you link to are for ROUND recessed housings. The OP has a 10" or 12" SQUARE recessed housing. Your link goes to trims with a compatability list ( SEE: the User Guide ) that is for recessed housings that are ROUND and thermally protected. The trims you posted about do not have instructions that include the old NON-thermally protected SQUARE recessed housings.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Square LED Retrofit Kits

Hubbell makes one... CLED-LW-7-UNV

We use them for converting MH recessed squares; those cans are about 12" I think. Pricey though.... about $265/ea

Also, Kontech makes an LED square that you could possibly use. It's a square trim that screws directly up to the soffit, and then the LED square sits inside. It allows for various square sizes..... KON-CL60-1212. Its 12". Buy at your own risk though. While I haven't had problems with their LED's, I've had some issues with the powder coat finish flaking off which allows the metal underneath to rust. Cost is about $230

Edit to add..... here's a pic of that Kontech fixture; one that I had to repaint recently

1e8a197fe7651c45e038ad3ff079505b.jpg

1be9bbacdc444fe98a76b56108671729.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Electric-Light

If you're using a can retrofit, you'd have to see if the included hardware can make it stay in the fixture and if it adequately covers up the opening.

Maybe for a gas station fueling area, but exposed solid state fluorescent lamp elements like that produces massive multi-faceted glare. Indoor fixtures do not throw away half the output in the diffuser for nothing.

iwire

Staff member
If you're using a can retrofit, you'd have to see if the included hardware can make it stay in the fixture and if it adequately covers up the opening.

Well gee wiz, we never would had thinked of dat. ;)

Maybe for a gas station fueling area, but exposed solid state fluorescent lamp elements like that produces massive multi-faceted glare. Indoor fixtures do not throw away half the output in the diffuser for nothing.

Give up, the wars over and LED has won .... until the next thing comes along.

iwire

Staff member
This has nothing to do with my comment that LED dots behind a clear cover being inappropriate in places where glare is undesirable.

In a technical sense I agree with you. In the real world LEDs, like past lighting technologies are often misapplied and yet people are happy with the results.

You have clearly been around long enough to know that many decisions are based on things beyond cut sheets and white papers.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

Well, yeh..... that was one reason I posted the pic of that Kontech light. You'd just rip the old can out and sit this box on top of the trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.