Squirrels and exposed cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Greetings,
I have a project in outdoorsy area where I'll be putting up solar panel and antenna on a 15' pole. I was thinking about running the exposed cables from the control panel up the solar and antenna, but then realized that I squirrels or other rodents could chew on the cable, and so it would be better to run the cables in a conduit up the pole.

How relevant are my concerns?

Thanks,
EE

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Very. I make a good living on squirrels and the damage they can do.

I have see the old neoprene cable Insulation chewed completely off and the squirrels will actually chew the aluminum ACSR.

(Sorry, had to delete the dead animal picture)

Last edited by a moderator:

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
Did a job were flying squirrels got in to the panel. The whole bottom half of the thing was filled with their poo. Had to replace a couple circuits and seal up the hole they got in

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Squirrels are going to chew through any cables they can. One morning I was sitting at my computer and around 7:00 AM I heard a bang and a second later my power went out. Around an hour later the POCO crew came by and were at a pole 3 houses away. I went down to see what had happened and they found a squirrel bit onto the primary lug of the transformer. With 11,400 volts he welded himself to the transformer and blew about 4 holes in his little body. AND, he managed to blow the fuse and knock out the whole block.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
My old church was supplied Telco plain old telephone over a 12 pair drop. Over a decade or two, a weed tree was allowed to grow under it, eventually lifting the drop slightly in the crotch of a fork in the trunk.

I was called to find out why the main phone line had failed and the local Telco Central Office was showing that the phone service was good. I found squirrels had enjoyed gnawing on only the top of the cable, for about an 8" length, while they were sitting in the fork. Eventually, after getting though the metal gopher-guard and gel, one pulled up the pair carrying the main number and bit through it. What amazed me was the leisurely nature of the damage.

garbo

Greetings,
I have a project in outdoorsy area where I'll be putting up solar panel and antenna on a 15' pole. I was thinking about running the exposed cables from the control panel up the solar and antenna, but then realized that I squirrels or other rodents could chew on the cable, and so it would be better to run the cables in a conduit up the pole.

Thanks,
EE
Best pratice is to go with a metal conduit such as EMT (thinwall ) or heavier rigid conduit. Would not go with PVC.

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
MC if it's my house.:) Seen NM attacked by too many varmints to make me comfortable.

-Hal

How about varmint proofing the place, I have two outdoor cats and a outdoor dog and have not seen any squirrels or varmints in years, and I live in the woods.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
How about varmint proofing the place, I have two outdoor cats and a outdoor dog and have not seen any squirrels or varmints in years, and I live in the woods.

Found mouse droppings in the kitchen cabinet. I have three cats. They all probably made friends with each other. So I had to trap them and find out how they were getting in.

-Hal

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
Found mouse droppings in the kitchen cabinet. I have three cats. They all probably made friends with each other. So I had to trap them and find out how they were getting in.

-Hal

Someone is not doing their job.

Buck Parrish

Greetings,

Thanks,
EE
Of course conduit is the best way to go, but I have coated the out side of the wire with sticky liquid tape. Then they won't mess with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.