SRO and Dwelling Unit Definition

Tidus

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I've got a building that is putting in 20 Studio units and 33 Single Room Occupancy units(SRO).
The Studio units will have a living space/bedroom, kitchen with cooktop, fridge and sink, and a bathroom.
The SRO unit will have a living space/bedroom, kitchen with cooktop, fridge and sink.

Per the NEC, the studio units can be applied the demand factor under Table 220.84 because they fall under the definition of the dwelling unit.

My question can I apply the SRO units under the same table even though they don't have an individual bathroom? Another thing to note that both of the unit types are fed by multiple circuits, the owner does not want to have the tenants access the panels.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I've got a building that is putting in 20 Studio units and 33 Single Room Occupancy units(SRO).
The Studio units will have a living space/bedroom, kitchen with cooktop, fridge and sink, and a bathroom.
The SRO unit will have a living space/bedroom, kitchen with cooktop, fridge and sink.

Per the NEC, the studio units can be applied the demand factor under Table 220.84 because they fall under the definition of the dwelling unit.

My question can I apply the SRO units under the same table even though they don't have an individual bathroom? Another thing to note that both of the unit types are fed by multiple circuits, the owner does not want to have the tenants access the panels.
Sounds like the single room occupancy, with no bathroom, would fall under the definition of 'guest suite'.
Welcome to the forum.

Tidus

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thanks! I was just looking at that, my concern is if the sanity portion is just covered by a sink or a bathroom is required. If this is a guest suite, and I have the cooktop, I should be able to apply the dwelling unit demand factor to it.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Thanks! I was just looking at that, my concern is if the sanity portion is just covered by a sink or a bathroom is required.
I dont think a bathroom is required.
If this is a guest suite, and I have the cooktop, I should be able to apply the dwelling unit demand factor to it.
I dont know of any 'dwelling demand factors' in 220 for guest suites other than multi outlet assembly and track lighting.
EDIT there is T220.45

Last edited:

Tidus

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I dont think a bathroom is required.

I dont know of any 'dwelling demand factors' in 220 for guest suites other than multi outlet assembly and track lighting.
EDIT there is T220.45
Here is a snapshot from the handbook, it is just the commentary mentioning it in the definition of the guest suite.

Attachments

• 20240306_162535.jpg
    20240306_162535.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 3

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Ok I see.
Yeah I think in that commentary they are presuming the 'sanitation' is a bathroom.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
All dwelling units that are part of a larger complex or even if they are 'accessory' to a main occupancy (like an ADU or tiny house), could be simultaneously a 'dwelling unit' and a 'guest suite' in the NEC.
However the reverse is not true, not all guest suites are dwelling units, so to get the dwelling demand factor I think you'd have to meet the dwelling definition.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Its interesting that the NEC takes the time to define a bathroom, but leaves bathroom out of the definition of 'dwelling unit', so I think the commentary is correct, you dont need a bathroom just 'permanent provisions for sanitation' however the AHJ defines that.

Bathroom.
An area including a sink with one or more of the following: a toilet, a urinal, a tub, a shower, a bidet, or similar plumbing fixtures. (CMP-2)

Dwelling Unit.
A single unit, providing complete and independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

Guest Suite.
An accommodation with two or more contiguous rooms comprising a compartment, with or without doors between such rooms, that provides living, sleeping, sanitary, and storage facilities.