stackable washer/dryer circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris989

New User
Hello all,

My neighbor purchase a new "stackable" LG combo and it has the two power supply cords (120 washer,,,,240 dryer) The old unit was stacked and had just the one 240 4-wire supply. the voltage was split inside the unit to supply the controls and washer.

Anywhoo,,, it is a old home, it has a 4-wire 30amp circuit supplying the closet. All the post i read get into code debate, LG has zero tech support. I was hoping they had an approved method for combining units when stacked. I can easily tap in the buss panel where the 240 cord attaches to the unit but it is obviously not ideal or spec'e this way.

I understand the don'ts of tapping 120 into a 240 circuit but the old unit was wired this way but it was internal and out of sight. Is the any such plug adapter that would allow plugging the 120 washer into the 240 circuit? I see a lot of adapters to convert 240 to 120 but it does not allow the 240 to plug in.

There is power available to pull an independant circuit for the 120 but it would involve a lot of drywall carnage.

Thanks,
Chris

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The forum rules do not allow us to assist in DIY projects.

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.