Staffing company using masters license

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWalecka

How does everyone feel about having a staffing company use their masters license...pros cons....are there liabilities? Possible being sued?

Thanks

Barney B

Occupation
Electrical Instructor/Trainer
How does everyone feel about having a staffing company use their masters license...pros cons....are there liabilities? Possible being sued?

Thanks
I'm unable to think of any valid use a staffing company could have for for your license. Are they planning to certify experience hours as though their employee had worked for you?

2Broke2Sleep

I feel the same as anyone else using your license, you put yourself at risk of going to jail. Just heard about a case happening from a lawyer recently

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Thanks
It depends entirely on what they actually want you to do. If you are planning a legitimate oversight role that is one thing. if it is a scam to get past some inconvenient rules, it is something else.

As for being sued, there is always a chance of being sued. It is why you have insurance.

Best bet - run it past your lawyer first.

Direct supervision and control are the keys-
I can see a valid scenario where the staffing company is the actual W2 employer of both the master and the j-men/helpers but they have been leased to the master's own company (saves doing payroll, not uncommon). Or where the master and their company directly supervise the workers on another company's payroll. There may be a hairball in there about whether the actual employer needs to be a licensed contractor or if they can lease employees to a licensed contractor.

After the first leased-employee option, there needs to be written agreement about what's going on.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Direct supervision and control are the keys-
I can see a valid scenario where the staffing company is the actual W2 employer of both the master and the j-men/helpers but they have been leased to the master's own company (saves doing payroll, not uncommon). Or where the master and their company directly supervise the workers on another company's payroll. There may be a hairball in there about whether the actual employer needs to be a licensed contractor or if they can lease employees to a licensed contractor.

After the first leased-employee option, there needs to be written agreement about what's going on.
leasing employees is a more or less legitimate thing these days. it allows the leasing company to take on the administrative burdens and dealing with insurance and other such hassles. whether this is allowed for electrical workers in your jurisdiction is something for your lawyer to review.

Status
Not open for further replies.