stairwell panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Are the requirements of 110.26 met? If they are it actually seems like a good location, I doubt there would be a bunch of storage items piled in front of it.

(Edit) Oooops, are you saying it is not located on a landing but in the stairs?

Roger

This same question was brought up a while back. This question was sent to NFPA, and the response back was, if the clearance is met, then it is permitted. Me, I don't like the idea of a panel located in a stairwell, but if it is permitted....

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Pierre C Belarge said:
This same question was brought up a while back. This question was sent to NFPA, and the response back was, if the clearance is met, then it is permitted. Me, I don't like the idea of a panel located in a stairwell, but if it is permitted....

why don't you like it? it does not seem like all that bad of a place to put it.

W6SJK

Some codes (BOCA?) do not allow conduit in a stairwell that does not serve loads in the stairwell. This doesn't seem to meet the intent of that rule, especially if the panel and conduits are surface mounted.

allenwayne

barbeer said:
Why would someone install an electrical load center, opening mid-rise in a stairwell? Safety or the lack thereof should be a concern. Opinions?

When you say mid-rise do you mean within the area of the actual risers or at a landing on the staircase?On a landing I can`t see a problem but within the riser area I can.From one stair tread the other riser and stair tread would encroach the area of the first stair tred and to me that would violate working clearance.Same as having something built out below a panel.JMO.

bphgravity

Here's the NEC stance:

1-199 Log #159 NEC-P01
(110-26(A))

Final Action: Reject

Submitter: W. Creighton Schwan Hayward, CA

Recommendation:
Add to (A), starting in line 7:
The grade, floor or platform of the working space shall be horizontal, flat, and level, except where necessarily sloped to drain, and smooth without projection or indentation.

Substantiation:
This change will provide a specific requirement to correct these conditions observed in the field:
1. Panel boards and toggle switches in stairway walls.
2. Outdoor disconnects where the grade slopes away at such an angle or is so rocky that the working space is there, but safe footing is not possible. This is a safety issue. Working is unsafe where the footing is not level.

Panel Meeting Action: Reject

Panel Statement:
The proposed requirement is too restrictive. The submitter notes that it would preclude a toggle switch in a stairway wall. There is no justification for such a broad restriction. Qualified persons routinely work safely from ladders or scaffolding that may be required in the workspace.
Number Eligible to Vote: 12
Affirmative: 12

Here's one possible building code issue (wouldn't apply to SFD):

FBC SECTION 1019
VERTICAL EXIT ENCLOSURES
1019.1.2 Penetrations.
Penetrations into and openings through an exit enclosure are prohibited except for required exit doors, equipment and ductwork necessary for independent pressurization, sprinkler piping, standpipes, electrical raceway for fire department communication and electrical raceway serving the exit enclosure and terminating at a steel box not exceeding 16 square inches (0.010 m2). Such penetrations shall be protected in accordance with Section 712. There shall be no penetrations or communication openings, whether protected or not, between adjacent exit enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.