stak-its

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
For those who use 3M stak-its, I have been informed of an interesting situation by an inspector.
If you look at the install instructions, it lists the stak-it for (4) #12 NMs and (8) #14 NMs with a note that with 5-8 14's derating might be "considered".
I've yet to see either # of conductors or derating addressed, nor have I ever addresed it in the field on stak-its. Has anyone had this mentioned?

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
Greenlee CA1s have a similar note. I try to limit the
stacker to 4, but have never been called for having
more cables when I had to put 5 or more cables.

spoon

might be "considered".

There is only one reason that not is there. Some jurisdictions might have codes set in place regarding grouped Romex, while most do not. It's up to the electrical installer (you) to use the 3M product in a manner that does not violate codes. Check with your AHJ if you are not sure.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The NEC has never stated what they mean by spacing. A stak-it spaces the wires up the length of the stud so why would derating be needed. I realize the manufacturer says so, but, IMO this is just another attempt to CYA to avoid lawsuits in our litigous society.

Perhaps the concern is due more to walls that have thermal insulation and the wires getting pushed together.

Because a manufacturer cannot control what the installer does with their product while installing them in the field, they add some conditions to help protect themselves. This is one of the conditions that is very hard for the manufacturer to control, so they have added the wording, which does not specifically say to perform ampacity adjustment, but leaves it up to the installer.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They're throwing nothing more than a suggestion in the instructions. IMO suggestions are not enforceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.