Stamping electrical and structural plans (PE license)

Andres Arias

PV Solar engineer
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Good morning.
I recently passed this exam --> PE Electrical and Computer: Power, and I am in the process to obtain the PE license. With the PE license that I will obtain, can I stamp structural and electrical plans? Is it also required to have passed a PE exam related with Civil: Structural?

Thank you

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Good morning.
I recently passed this exam --> PE Electrical and Computer: Power, and I am in the process to obtain the PE license. With the PE license that I will obtain, can I stamp structural and electrical plans? Is it also required to have passed a PE exam related with Civil: Structural?

Thank you
Most states have rules that effectively say an engineer should only practice in the areas/fields with which they have training and experience.

Most states have separate licensing requirements for structural engineering.

Business ethics would include one knowing the local rules and regulations under which they are licensed.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
You shouldn't stamp anything if you're not doing calculations and/or specifications for that particular thing. If it's not actually illegal (it probably is) it also means you assume some liability if something fails. Your insurance may not cover if it you stamped something you weren't qualified to stamp.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Good morning.

Thank you
See

especially 29.3