Stand-by power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejrosello

I am having a problem with an inspector. The home owner wanted to install a generator for their entire home. The service consists of an existing 400 amp K7 meter can. From the meter can it nipples to the gutter. There are three disconnects, below the gutter, feeding the existing load inside the home. We installed the transfer switch on the right hand side of the gutter and we fed from the transfer switch to the generator and back to the gutter to feed the existing disconnect for the generator. The inspector is calling for a main disconnect for the entire service. My question is do I need a Main Disconnect or am i in code with article 230-71

iwire

Staff member
Re: Stand-by power

You can not have a transfer switch on the supply side of the service disconnect. (230.82)

You either need a service disconnect ahead of everything or a service rated transfer switch.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

I am having a problem with an inspector
LOL You're not having a problem WITH the inspector. You're having trouble because there is an inspector and your installation doesn't meet code (unlees, as i wire says, its a service rated t/s)...not the inspectors fault.....

:)

paul

Originally posted by iwire:
You can not have a transfer switch on the supply side of the service disconnect. (230.82)

You either need a service disconnect ahead of everything or a service rated transfer switch.
Ditto what Bob said. Square D MTS's are service rated. Check your paperwork on the transfer switch you installed, it may be service rated, in which you should have a legal installation.

Goodluck

[ October 02, 2005, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: paul ]

Status
Not open for further replies.