Standard American and European Disconnect Switch Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilf

Hi,

I have a project that was designed to European standards. Now we have received a submittal for the disconnect switches where the submittal is for American standard sizes. For example, they want to use 30A disconnect switches instead of the 32A and 60A instead of the 63A.

I mean it still protects the cable and everything, but in general is this acceptable practice?

Thanks a lot!

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Hi,

I have a project that was designed to European standards. Now we have received a submittal for the disconnect switches where the submittal is for American standard sizes. For example, they want to use 30A disconnect switches instead of the 32A and 60A instead of the 63A.

I mean it still protects the cable and everything, but in general is this acceptable practice?

Thanks a lot!

As you're finding out, you won't find a direct 1:1 equivalent for things like disconnect switches and plugs. If both switches and conductors are properly protected by overcurrent protection, then it seems to be a design issue. If the client is OK with it, and it meets local code where ever it's being installed, why not?

I've dealt with this in the past. I'm in the US, but often design things for use in the IEC world. Design it to be safe, and have it meet local codes (if applicable) and you should be good.

SceneryDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.