Standby Generator and Emergency Lighting inverter System

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

I had a discussion with other engineers regarding if we are required to provide a separate transfer switch for the inverter system. The current design shown to have two separate transfer switch one for standby loads and the other is for emergency lighting. We have decided to add an inverter system which is a stand alone system and does not depends on the generator if it runs or not. my thought, since this is a stand alone system and it won't be affected by the generator, we can feed it from the standby switchboard (or distribution panel) and we can delete the life safety emergency transfer switch and associated panel. Is this a code violation? or we can feed the inverter from the standby panel since it stand alone emergency system? Any thoughts.....Thanks in advance

iwire

Staff member
In most cases the codes do not require a generator, if you have meet all your emergency power requirements with the inverter the generator can be just for optional loads.

faresos

In most cases the codes do not require a generator, if you have meet all your emergency power requirements with the inverter the generator can be just for optional loads.

Thanks for the reply...

So you do not see any code issue if we fed the inverter from the standby loads? Thats my thought also, thanks again for your input

InverterGuy

Occupation
Regional Sales Manager
Correct. The Emergency Transfer Switch is NOT required when using a lighting inverter. This is shown in most NEC and local codes incorrectly. The Transfer switch is a requirement with a generator as it tells the generator to start. The transfer in the inverter system is internal; therefore, there is no need for an external transfer switch to tell the inverter to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.