Standby Generator Placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

I doubt it- simply because not all generators are created 'equal.'

It's one thing for a genny with a natural gas line to it, and another for one with a 500 gal. propane tank, or diesel fuel reservoir. That's one issue.

Another issue is noise .... some genny can happily hum away on the kitchen table, while others start with a prehistoric, dinosaur-size roar.

Finally, there's the matter of generator maintenance. If you have a "load bank," you want that giant toaster FAR from the house.

bth0mas20

The scenario I have is a 10kw propane generac generator with a 12 circuit auto transfer sw pre wired panel. It comes with a pre wired 5ft whip and a jbox on one end to mount to the house. I dont want it so far from the house that the whip is streched tight. This is an optional standby residential system also with no load bank.

Does that help?

tkb

What's a plumbing inspector? We have a building inspector, no need to ask anyone anything. :)

Plumbing inspector would know the clearances required for the gas and windows.
Building inspector may be concerned with the sound at the neighbors property.

ceb58

Always go by the manufacture, The generators I install require 36"

Not allways

The homeowner said the propane man stated that generators needed to be installed min 5ft from
the house. I found information from Generac that states the non combustable enclosure for the
generator allows it to be installed up to 18" from the exterior wall.

The link....It says 2007 so Im looking to see if thiers any more up to date.

http://www.mygenerac.com/News/File/0G6108AircooledOffset72607.pdf

Only your local inspector can say. There are states that have disallowed Generac's 18'' claim. Their ruling was that the testing was not done by a recognized testing lab.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As others have mentioned, always check with your local inspector(s). The reason I say that is because I recently installed the same unit for a customer in my town and I did so before the building dept. approved the location. It turned out that we have a local ordinance stating that the unit had to be at least 15' away from the property line and we ended up applying for a variance.

Anyway, when you buy the gen set take a look at the installation manual. Generally speaking the unit is set on a bed of crushed stone about 4' from the house. You'll have to make sure the unit is not near anything combustible and that exhaust is not facing or near any windows. If you are looking at the unit the exhaust comes out on the left side. Some of the generator maintenance companies I've used here locally tell me that they remove that 5' connection whip and make up their own. Not sure if that voids anything so I just install is as is. Also, make sure the unit is serviceable. Many HO's like to hide the unit and place shrubs around it. Make sure they're not so close that you can't open the door.

Daja7

Generator placement (generac) must be at least 5 feet from any openable window, door, fresh air intake. that is any part of the generator no mater where the exauhst blows. otherwise 18" from the back of the generator to any stationary wall or building. The testing was indeed done by an independent testing facility and is reviewable. Generac has this in there manuals now. Every city county and town in our state accepts this.

BAHTAH

Residential Gen Install

Residential Gen Install

Save yourself a lot of problems. Draw your site layout showing where you want to install the Gen set, where you will get the
propane supply from and that it will meet the demand. Show where the property line is in relation to the generator. Show any
utilities on the exterior near the generator and where the windows are located. Then go and submit your drawing when you get
your permit and have your drawing reviewed before you start the installation. If you are acting as the prime contractor you will
prpbably have to show the installation requirements for the propane line as well as you electrical work. I give the Gen spec to the
plumber and he gives me the info I need to put on the drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.