Standby generator worth the hassle?

Residential EC here in PA. Thinking about getting into standby home power systems, Generac, Kohler, etc. But at the end of the day, I'd rather not do the maintenance or sell a of them. I get about 3-4 calls a year for these, and would just be easier if the customer purchases the gen and I do the install.

I know how to do it, and don't even mind taking some classes for extra education, but I've heard the whole "authorized" process gets hairy and can lock you in to servicing that machine forever. Enough of these, and a lot of my time will be dealing with mechanical or other non-electrical related issues.

Any advice? I don't like leaving money on the table, these installs can be a nice payday, but also I'm no mechanic and don't want to be a salesman/mechanic. Is the warrabty basically voided if I install it as a non-authorized tech?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Residential EC here in PA. Thinking about getting into standby home power systems, Generac, Kohler, etc. But at the end of the day, I'd rather not do the maintenance or sell a of them. I get about 3-4 calls a year for these, and would just be easier if the customer purchases the gen and I do the install.

I know how to do it, and don't even mind taking some classes for extra education, but I've heard the whole "authorized" process gets hairy and can lock you in to servicing that machine forever.
Look at it this way: If you sell enough of them they will keep you so busy fixing them that you'll never have to sell another one. :D

Birken Vogt

I operate in this field and it is a whole other trade. Just not one that has a convenient name like "plumber" or "mason".

Like HVAC, just because it has electric supply to it does not mean it is an electrician's job to install and service it.

As a distributor, our manufacturers judge us based on how many dollars we order per year. Some electricians have associated with us to buy product from us and we will take care of their service customers. In return, we send them leads and provide tech assistance when they have live customers.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I was getting a lot of calls for HSBs, and I live in a very rural area with frequent power outages, some of them a week or more, so I decided a couple years ago to go get Factory Certification.

I contacted Generac, Kohler, and Cummins.

Generac had me set up with the online prerequisites and scheduled for factory training right away. Like set up in a couple hours. They have a good program in place.

Kohler said they were going to get it set up, half-assed it, and never followed through.

Cummins returned my call, sent me to a defunct page, and I never heard from them again, despite repeated calls.

So, at this point, I’m only Factory Certified with Generac. I’m very glad I did it, there are several little points that are not necessarily intuitive, and unless you get the training, you’ll never know it.

Im still perusing it with Kohler, despite their best efforts. 🙄

I chose to remain as a “Certified Installer”, and not become a “Service Dealer”. I do not have a showroom, I do not sell the units anymore than I do with any other electrical part, like a panel, and I do not perform engine service. I’m have access to the same tech support that a service dealer has though.

I install for a local dealer here, Generac, Kohler, Cummins, whatever. They are not electricians, and I don’t want to do the service work, so we have a great setup. Anything that requires an EC, they call me, and I turn all my service work over to them.

I agree with @Birken Vogt its a very definite sub-specialty of electrical. It may or may not work for you.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
you cannot compete with a dedicated gen sales company. if you have customers that want you to install at whatever price, sure, go for it. At that point you're just getting the cost of your labor back, because you will make 0 dollars on the generator itself unless your customer is just willing to overpay you for it. It's all well and good until something goes wrong during the install and you're not authorized to receive tech support to fix it.

kwired

Electron manager
I have never sold a generator set, I've installed the electrical portion of quite a few though. I don't want to be the one that services or is responsible for arranging service of the power unit or gas system, or stock all those sorts of replacement parts if I am not all in on making this a big portion of my business.

Appreciate all the input fellas. Ideally I'd try to arrange a scenario like Seven-Delta, so if I can find that arrangement I will. Otherwise I really don't feel like getting multiple call backs or service days if I can help it. I like to be one and done.

kwired

Electron manager
Appreciate all the input fellas. Ideally I'd try to arrange a scenario like Seven-Delta, so if I can find that arrangement I will. Otherwise I really don't feel like getting multiple call backs or service days if I can help it. I like to be one and done.
Now think about what you would do if you were the customer.

There is mostly two kinds.
Those that want it at as least cost as possible, then hate you when there is any problems down the road especially if you aren't offering any warranty work when there is problems.

Those that want you to service what you sell/install whether covered by warranty or not.

You likely not selling such an item at one the lowest cost if you aren't some sort of authorized dealer. There are some higher volume dealers but they don't exactly provide installs or services either. Those are the places the first kind of customer goes to purchase then either installs themselves or hires someone to install or a combination of DIY and professionals for certain tasks.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Occupation
EC and GC
Unless you are a Service Dealer, you have no obligation to perform service work.

I am a Certified Installer for both advertising purposes, and, in my case, I learned a lot about installing them properly by getting the training. For example, with Generac HSB, if you want to run more than 2 ATS from a single unit, a relay is required. What relay, where, and how it’s wired, I learned as a certified tech. It’s not something one can know intuitively.

I also have access to tech support, which I would not have had if I did not have the certificate.

I refer my customers to the tractor and generator dealer that I work with, for the service. They call me for all the stuff that requires an EC. Even the generator jobs that I sell on my own, I just tell the customers that I do not perform scheduled maintenance, nor service work. I warranty my own work of course.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Occupation
EC and GC
I signed up with EGD as an installer. I’ve already gotten leads from them. Just talked to one yesterday. We’ll see if they can afford the install.

Im not obligated to provide anything more than what is in my Contract, and my Contract will be for installation only. I will refer them to the guys I work with for maintenance, and they can take it or leave it as they see fit.

I signed up with EGD as an installer. I’ve already gotten leads from them. Just talked to one yesterday. We’ll see if they can afford the install.

Im not obligated to provide anything more than what is in my Contract, and my Contract will be for installation only. I will refer them to the guys I work with for maintenance, and they can take it or leave it as they see fit.
Sounds great, you have a good setup there. Definitely the kind of contract I'm looking for. Thanks for the input, I think I may go this route. I don't care about making money on selling gens, I just like the work and learning how they function, and I make enough with labor to ba happy. I'll definitely take the classes if I can just be an installer and avoid the red tape and service work. Thanks for the information!

Who did you go through to take the classes/get certified? Do they teach you about multiple manufacturers?

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Occupation
EC and GC
It was through Generac. I took about 20-30 hours of online classes, then 2 days of intensive classroom and hands on training at the Generac facility in Stockton.

It was Generac specific.

The dealer I work with has sent their guys to do the same with both Cummins and Kohler, as they are dealers/distributors for both, and they want the service and repair work.

I got the impression that Cummins only wants to train those who are dealers for their product. Kohler and Generac train installers, Generac’s program is just must more organized and streamlined.

It was through Generac. I took about 20-30 hours of online classes, then 2 days of intensive classroom and hands on training at the Generac facility in Stockton.

It was Generac specific.

The dealer I work with has sent their guys to do the same with both Cummins and Kohler, as they are dealers/distributors for both, and they want the service and repair work.

I got the impression that Cummins only wants to train those who are dealers for their product. Kohler and Generac train installers, Generac’s program is just must more organized and streamlined.
Awesome info man! Really appreciate it. You've been super helpful.

Birken Vogt

I have gotten zero response from Cummins, even though they have occasionally called me out of the blue to help with field problems.

I suspect we are in the same territory. Can you find a number for somebody that handles any of these programs at Cummins?

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Occupation
EC and GC
I got a variety of numbers, transfers, email addresses, i dont remember any of them now, it was a couple years ago.

All of it ended in nothing. 🙄

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I’ve bought several from them, but the last one I bought took them six months to get it, and it was down to the wire, because the owner was closing in a week. I found the same generator at my local supply house for the exact same price, and they had them in stock. Bought one from them, then the next day the one I ordered online showed up!