Standby Power Requirements for Elevators

Petewilliam

New User
Occupation
CEO
Currently working on a project for BaoBao Technology where the city requires standby power for the elevator per CBC requirements.

Can someone explain why parking structures and residential projects with 5+ levels are exempt from this requirement? The project is a parking structure with a medical clinic on the 5th floor. The highest occupied floor is 55', below CBC's Highrise criteria. Here are the relevant code sections for standby power/elevators. I don't understand how projects get exempt and where this exemption is stated in the code.

• Code section 1009.2.1: Elevators required for buildings where the accessible floor is four or more stories above the exit discharge. Elevators must be an accessible means of egress. Reference Section 1009.4.
  • Code Section 1009.4: To be considered part of an accessible means of egress, elevators must comply with sections 1009.4.1.
  • Code Section 1009.4.1: Standby power must be provided per chapter 27.
Where in the code is there a provision exempting parking structures or buildings with fire-rated corridors?

david

Currently working on a project for BaoBao Technology where the city requires standby power for the elevator per CBC requirements.

Can someone explain why parking structures and residential projects with 5+ levels are exempt from this requirement? The project is a parking structure with a medical clinic on the 5th floor. The highest occupied floor is 55', below CBC's Highrise criteria. Here are the relevant code sections for standby power/elevators. I don't understand how projects get exempt and where this exemption is stated in the code.

• Code section 1009.2.1: Elevators required for buildings where the accessible floor is four or more stories above the exit discharge. Elevators must be an accessible means of egress. Reference Section 1009.4.
  • Code Section 1009.4: To be considered part of an accessible means of egress, elevators must comply with sections 1009.4.1.
  • Code Section 1009.4.1: Standby power must be provided per chapter 27.
Where in the code is there a provision exempting parking structures or buildings with fire-rated corridors?
The sections you posted are from chapter 10 international building code.
The last referance tells you to go to chapter 27 for the requirements.

Why is something required or not required in reference to height may have to do with the equipment a typical fire department has to rescue occupants, ie. Ladder truck.

I do not have the IBC commentary in front of me right now