Starters

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Do you guys find that combo starter/disconnects for mechanical equipment is provided by the mechanical contractor and installed by electrical?

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I was always told that was/is the standard procedure. But in my experience, you need to read the specs and review the drawings because every job is different, and I have found conflicting information between the mechanical and electrical specs. You always need to review the mechanical specs to make sure they do not conflict and if they do ask the questions before bidding. Don't want to get caught short missing something you need to provide.

A lot of specs now are just copies of other jobs.

You could find that the electrical specs call for you to provide starters and VFDs but the mechanical specs they call for the MC to provide them.

Or worse they miss them and don't specify who will provide them.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I was always told that was/is the standard procedure. But in my experience, you need to read the specs and review the drawings because every job is different, and I have found conflicting information between the mechanical and electrical specs. You always need to review the mechanical specs to make sure they do not conflict and if they do ask the questions before bidding. Don't want to get caught short missing something you need to provide.

A lot of specs now are just copies of other jobs.

You could find that the electrical specs call for you to provide starters and VFDs but the mechanical specs they call for the MC to provide them.

Or worse they miss them and don't specify who will provide them.
Absolutely correct, thanks.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Looks lock solid that the MC provides those on this job. looks like a good spec. My only question would be is any of that factory installed in the fan?? (Like the local disconnect as an example) and who is doing fire alarm circuits, and 24v control circuits you or other contractors?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Looks lock solid that the MC provides those on this job. looks like a good spec. My only question would be is any of that factory installed in the fan?? (Like the local disconnect as an example) and who is doing fire alarm circuits, and 24v control circuits you or other contractors?
Also since it's a union job if they come loose from the mechanical guy we might claim the installation.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It's all over the map in my experience, it's something that can become a point of contention if not laid out explicitly in a proposal or project negotiation. I typically state everything that we are providing, then as a cross check, list items like this that we have interpreted to be supplied by others, installed by us. Communication is the key.