State License for Indiana???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

Does Indiana require a state electric license, if so what types ? Is their a residential only or a masters, limited, etc...
I just got back from a trip up their.
Their is some real shotty electric work in rual western Indiana.
No offense to all of you Indianians that don't do shotty work, of course.

bbaumer

No.

Different cities and counties have their own license requirements.

Some have no requirement at all, especially rural areas.

I have taken any tests since the mid 90's but back then the larger cities used the Block test (which became the Experior test and is now something else, I think) but some had their own test.

Indy was a proctored Block test, Muncie and Ft. Wayne were the Block but it was not proctored. Richmond had their own test at that time but ended up switching to the Experior test.

Some you took the journeyman test, some the masters. Some just gave you an "electrical contractor's" license, neither journeyman or master.

Last edited:

charlie

There have been various attempts to get statewide licensing but all of the little towns around the larger cities don't want it since they have licensing also to collect the licensing fees. They will recognize other city's licenses for issuing reciprocal licenses in most cases. For the same reason, most (all?) of the larger cities want local licensing.

As a side bar, both the union and merit shops and organizations want statewide licensing but neither is happy with the language the other puts to the legislature. Therefore, when one get a bill going, the other one shoots it down with political pressure. :mad:

There are a lot of advantages and nearly no disadvantages but it ain't a happinin. :rolleyes:

Buck Parrish

Thanks,
Some body was telling me that in some of the rual counties the poco inspects it before hooking to it.

I was wondering about Terre Haute, IN

Buck Parrish

peter d said:
This whole local/city/town licensing scheme found in many states sounds like a real nightmare to me.

Yes, the whole state license would be much better.
Then what if you are working in rual Indiana. The next county over is the state of Illinois. What do they do their?

bbaumer

It's better than it used to be. Years ago some cities/towns were known as "good 'ole boy" towns.

If you didn't have the right last name or know the right people you weren't going to pass their test. Even if you were confident you scored 100% you could simply get told, sorry you didn't pass. Now, allegedly, if you had a plain envelope with the correct amount of "green" content, your score would somehow eek above passing, but that is just allegedly.

bikeindy

buckofdurham said:
Thanks,
Some body was telling me that in some of the rual counties the poco inspects it before hooking to it.

I was wondering about Terre Haute, IN

Terre Haute, IN has there own license but I can go there from Indy show them my test results and license pay the fee get the bond and good to go.

I personally don't think a state license will keep out the hacks and trunk slammers. you either do good work or you don't the inspector will find problems but only if a permit is pulled and permits are required even if a license is not. so no permits are more the problem I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.