Static Shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

fayc

I am doing safety rounds with pain clinic staff, they are experiencing static shocks when touching the key pads and push botton doors in the Emergency Dept hallway.The statics shocks are audible.
please let me know what we can do to handle this
Chris

brian john

Basically (from someone that does not know) it would seem this is a design issue, the flooring product is not compatible with the shoes they are utilizing.

I am not sure a grounded anything would help unless the two surfaces are kept at the same potential.

In the short term, grasp a key tightly and touch the key to the door know prior to grabbing the door knob.

iMuse97

I am doing safety rounds with pain clinic staff, they are experiencing static shocks when touching the key pads and push botton doors in the Emergency Dept hallway.The statics shocks are audible.
please let me know what we can do to handle this
Chris

Shock treatment has been used in the past for other issues. Maybe they should consider calling this a part of the employee assistance benefits package. :)

All kidding aside,
1. is this a new problem?
2. if so, what has been changed recently? for example, was new flooring installed?
3. effective bonding of all metal surfaces may still not solve the problem, and at a healthcare facility, these bonds are already supposed to be in place. If they wiped their hand along the wall as they approached the offending "button", they might "discharge themselves," and not have this problem.

fayc

Static

Static

No this is not a new Problem, the only thing that has changed is the temperature outside, it has gotten allot cooler.

The push to open buttons are all low voltage, the security key pads are all low voltage, and the door handles have no voltage going to them. wheel chairs and stretcher beds all have rubber wheels.

This happens both on floor title and also on carpet, it is not just in one area it's through-out the whole hospital. old section as well as new sections.

The HVAC dept. won't turn on the humidification system till the temperature goes below 50 degrees. lot of good that does me.

I did read article about crocs, cling free etc... people who just been shocked don't want to hear that, they go to employee health,then incident report, then to the safety committee.

any suggestion will appreciated, any information on relative humidity will also be appreciated

Thanks

cowboyjwc

Staff member
There really isn't much you can do. Employee health could require them to all wear anti-static footwear.

When the weather changes here I get shocked almost every time I get out of my city truck and it has cloth seats and plastic door handles.

When I was a kid living in Reno, at certain times of the the year you couldn't reach out and open the door without thinking about it, you could actually see the arch between your hand and the door knob, and kissing mom goodbye was just out of the question.:)

ultramegabob

I wonder if there is a carpet treatment they can apply like a fabric softner:confused: what I do when I am in a building that is prone to static shocks is hold one of my keys and touch metal surfaces before touching them with my bare hand.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I've seen anti-static carpet treatments and floor finishes in catalogs. Never used them, so I can't say anything other than 'they exist'.

-Jon

mh1990

Anti static spray

Anti static spray

There may be an anti-static spray that could be applied to the carpet. Could check with a commercrial carpet company to see if any are available.

Howard Burger

humidity

humidity

Static is an annual problem in the winter here, especially in homes. Dry air and carpet. I used to drive my cat nuts when I was a kid, shuffling my feet on the carpet then touching her. Vicious animal. Scratched and bit. Check the humidity, and suggest your client buys a portable humidifier to bring the humidity up to the 45-50% range. Problem goes away in the summer, right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.