Stationary deisel storage tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

weebee

New here and already I'm asking questions! I've been out of the trenches for the last 6 or so years since I moved to management. And it's been 10 years since I've had to deal with hazardous locations. Hopefully someone here will have a answer for me.
Last week I was tasked to get a 250 gallon stationary deisel tank wired up next to the one already in place. I say OK and while I'm walking out to where the tank is located I'm wondering if I'll need the normal goodies that go with this sort of thing like explosion proof seals, unions, flex, ridgid pipe, plaster and cotton etc,etc when I see that the old tank is wired up with PVC conduit going to a weather tite box with a motor rated AC switch, and normal liquid tite flex going to the motor. This can't be right, is it?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Unlike gasoline, desiel is actually fairly benign. Depending on its formulation, it is a Class II or IIIA "combustible" rather than "flammable" liquid. It must be stored at or above its flashpoint in order to be "hazardous" from a Article 500 viewpoint. See NFPA 497

Status
Not open for further replies.