Steam Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly

I have a customer doing a bathroom re-model and is installing a steam sauna/shower. The plumbing supplier has provided a 10KW generator that seems (IMO) really large. The shower stall is 3'x 5' x 7'-6" high. 2 walls, the floor and ceiling are insulated and 2 walls are glass. I think that he's shooting in the dark. My only concern is the home is served with a 200A main that also feeds a guest house on the premises. I'm in the process now of re-calculating the required service for the entire home. I believe that the 200 is going to be low. Does this heater sound large? 10KW = 34000btu/hr. I don't see how the temperature can be controlled correctly. This seems like enough steam to convert the whole house to a sauna. The home owner has confidence in the supplier although if I have to tell him that we've got to go to a 400A main, something's going to give. The last steam generator that I installed only required a 20A 120V supply. Any sauna experts out there?
thanks
steve

bphgravity

Re: Steam Generator

In many cases, 200-ampere services on single family dwellings is arbitrarily selected without a true load calculation made. It is practically a US standard.

You just may have the available capacity for the additional 10KW. I find most homes of current build to have plenty of expansion abilities for things like pools, spas, and the example you have provided. :)

jschultz

The problem is provided a load calc to prove you have enough power available.

We do multi-million dollar residences quite often. Most of them have a steam unit. The smallest one I have done is 9KW. The largest is 30KW. But some of these shower stalls can be as large as the bedroom in my house.

jschultz

The answer I want to know is, can you apply the 75% demand factor for the load calc for a fixed in place appliance?

It is not one of the things listed for not be able to apply it, but really is an electric heat load. But it is also very intermittent use.

[ May 05, 2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: jschultz ]

Status
Not open for further replies.