"Steamer" installed in attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

grasfulls

Within a residence, a 50 amp 240 VAC steam unit has been installed in an attic with no readily accessible means of disconnect. Does this fall under 422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances, and require a local disconnect, or may it just be permanently connected per 422.47 Water Heater Controls if there is a thermostat within the unit?

iwire

Staff member
Re: "Steamer" installed in attic

You need a disconnect per 422.31

422.47 has nothing to do with it, that is part of the construction of the unit.

It is basically a requirement for a high temperature limit switch in addition to the thermostat so it will shut down the unit if the regular thermostat fails closed.

grasfulls

Thanks Bob!
This spawns the next question then, why have I never been required to install a local disconnect for (as an example) a 30 amp 240 VAC water heater? Should I be required to do so? By the way, I agree that the steamer should have a disconnect, but the general contractor argued that I should not because he was not required to on one he personally installed three years ago.

Is it considered an "instant hot" water falling under exception 1 of 422.47?

benaround

grasfulls,

As far as the water heaters,if in a basement and within sight of and less than 50' no disconnect required. Let me rephrase that by removing "in a basement" . That was the first thing I thought of when you said 'I've never been required to before'.

frank

physis

Is it considered an "instant hot" water falling under exception 1 of 422.47?
I agree you might have a valid question as to whether a steam generator can be considered a water heater.

But 422.47 still has nothing to do with a diconnecting means. Part IV of Article 422 covers Construction.

Part III of Article 422 covers Disconnecting Means.

grasfulls

Frank,
Thank you for the reply. I have connected many in basaements where the panel faced outside, so not in site. I never gave consideration to a disconnect nor was I told to put one in. However, I am getting the impression there should be in many cases.
Gary

grasfulls

Hi Sam,
It is a disconnect, just not the way way the discussion has gone:
422.47 Water Heater Controls
All storage or instantaneous-type water heaters shall be equipped with a temperature-limiting means in addition to its control thermostat to disconnect all ungrounded conductors.

When I read that (disconnect all...) I was thinking, "perhaps they are construing the thermostat and/or the temp-limiter as the only disconnect means required". However, I was thinking only from the perspectiive of the water heaters I have hooked up, probably in error.

Gary

[ August 05, 2005, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: grasfulls ]

physis

It always helps to pay attention to what an area of the NEC is addressing.

I'm still learning how to use this book.

When I find myself wondering how to interpret things I'll go back XXX.1, Scope (usually), XXX.2 Definitions (sometimes), and the name or title of both the sections and parts. It doesn't always, but sometimes it helps a lot. :)

grasfulls

I always just relay on the EXPERT inspectors we have out here around....oh, I better not say where.. Sorry if I stepped on a toe or two there, but there are not many cities where there are true electrical inspectors, and sometimes they are almost unbearable, but I do love San Francisco...oooops, that slipped out, honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.