Steel jacket MC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

AFC has been making a lightweight steel jacketed MC cable for quite some time now, and I'm sure others are making it too. AFC's brand name is "MC Tuff." This cable is listed for use with setscrew type connectors, the same as the type for AC cable.

Since this is still type MC cable, anti-short busings are not required, even though it has a steel jacket, correct?

I always install MC without anti-shorts, but I don't use the setscrew connectors for the steel jacketed MC. Instead I use the saddle-grip type, which are nice to have because they are good for AC, MC, and flex.

Now, I'm not intending to set off another debate about using anti-short bushings or not. :eek: I just want to clarify this issue.

jwelectric

Re: Steel jacket MC cable

Compare the two section of each article below from the 2005 cycle

ARTICLE 330 Metal-Clad Cable: Type MC
330.40 Boxes and Fitting
Fittings used for connecting Type MC cable to boxes, cabinets, or other equipment shall be listed and identified for such use
ARTICLE 320 Armored Cable: Type AC
320.40 Boxes and Fittings
At all points where the armor of AC cable terminates, a fitting shall be provided to protect wires from abrasion, unless the design of the outlet boxes or fittings is such as to afford equivalent protection, and, in addition, an insulating bushing or its equivalent protection shall be provided between the conductors and the armor. The connector or clamp by which the Type AC cable is fastened to boxes or cabinets shall be of such design that the insulating bushing or its equivalent will be visible for inspection. Where change is made from Type AC cable to other cable or raceway wiring methods, a box, fitting, or conduit body shall be installed at junction points as required in 300.15.
I see no mention in the MC section as to the type of cable being used. I personally never use the anti short bushings myself and will fire any one working for me that does not use the proper tool to cut the cable.

Just for the fun here is what was required for MC in 1999

ARTICLE 334 -- Metal-Clad Cable: Type MC
334-12. Fittings
Fittings used for connecting Type MC cable to boxes, cabinets, or other equipment shall be listed and identified for such use. Where single-conductor cables enter ferrous metal boxes or cabinets, the installation shall comply with Section 300-20 to prevent inductive heating.
:)

peter d

Thanks Mike. I agree with you about stripping the cable. I often see real butcher jobs, especially the "bend and break" method. IMO, the only proper way to strip metal cables or flex is to use a hacksaw or rotosplit.

jwelectric

Curiosity took over so I slid the oldest cycle that I have off the shelf and as far back as 1975 the anti short bushing was not required for MC cable.
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.