Steel Toe Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman2003

I have a question. Does OSHA or any safety code consider these shoes hazardous for electrical work? I realize that the chances of the steel becoming exposed and then possibly energized may not be great, but a co worker and I were discussing this the other day and it does seem the possibilty exists. I was just wondering if anything exists restricting them, even under certain conditions. Thanks.

hurk27

Re: Steel Toe Shoes

Not unless you cant control your temper and started kicking the panel :D LOL :D

I have worked in and around industral enviroments for a long time and being an electrican will not get you off wareing these combat boots, trust me you will still have to ware them. and I hated them too untill a piece of heavy ssteel fell on my foot one day. if it wern't for the boots I would of lost my foot. :eek:

dacreman

I don't remember the brand for sure, but I believe Red Wing shoes make an OSHA approved fiberglass toe shoe that equals the steel toe protection and is meant for electrical work. If not Red Wing shoes,

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by hurk27:
Not unless you cant control your temper and started kicking the panel
:D LOL :D

Although I have never kicked a panel, In my younger days I punched out a window Air-conditioner, hey, it started it. :D but I came out with a broken hand. :eek:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Bob, I would have put money on you to win if I were given the chance. :D

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the original question, but this steel toe saved the wearers toes in this lawn mower accident.

The following is from here http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/ashore/default.htm

photo35_2.jpg

I dislike wearing them as much as anyone, but like Wayne, I have had them save my toes when a 4' pipe wrench was dropped about 6' on to my foot.

Roger

[ April 26, 2003, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

jbfan74

I wear still toe boots with an EH rating which is an electrical type boot. It means the sole is electrically inert unless wet.

muskiedog

Osha doesn't approve anything. Items can meet OSHA standards, but its up to the buyer to ensure that the equipment meets those standards.

dacreman

Caterpillar Non metallic toe safety boots are ANSI rated but not OSHA approved, Sorry for the incorrect statement. These boots are around $100

noxx

Redwings non-metallics are outstanding, provided you can stomach the cost. They about $240.

-Noxx

rrrusty

Red Wing has a pair of Steel toe lace up boots that are rated for 600 volts; and I paid an extra $20.00 to have a rubberized compound put on the toe to make the shoes last longer

wire nut

Are these Red Wing boots light weight? Are there any light weight boots or toe protected sneakers out there that are OSHA approved? I HATE wearing heavy work boots during the summer. I'd rather wear something much more comfortable.

John
New Jersey

tshephard

I'd like to report a problem I had with Red Wing. On my 4th or 5th pair of shoes in a consistent pattern (x number of months between purchases), one shoe let go of the sole. They warranted 1 shoe, paid me half, and thought I was gonna pay half for another pair. (The factory was involved and confirmed fault.) I would have accepted a single shoe, but they wouldn't sell one. They'll never sell me another.

pwhite

we had an employee that had steel toe shoes, not the lace up boot type. i will try and find out what brand they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.