Step-down transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

curious101

Hi All,

Is it NEC violation if electrical drawings don't specify the step down transformer for coffee brewer which only takes 208V, while the project uses 240V?

Thanks, and have a great day!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi All,

Is it NEC violation if electrical drawings don't specify the step down transformer for coffee brewer which only takes 208V, while the project uses 240V?

Thanks, and have a great day!
The NEC does not generally require drawings at all.

The city building department might care.

I am somewhat surprised that a 208 V appliance is not usable on 240 V as well.

curious101

The NEC does not generally require drawings at all.

The city building department might care.

I am somewhat surprised that a 208 V appliance is not usable on 240 V as well.
Yes, the owner decided to use a different coffee brewer (this is about a prototype job), and the contractor claims that in some cases the new coffee burner burned out the power board. It would be nice to talk to the manufacturer if this is really the case, but that's another story. So yes, I would prefer to have it confirmed by the manufacturer if this is the case and if it is, I would definitely specify the step-down transformer on the drawings. I just wanted to know if there is any section of the NEC that would specifically apply to this case. Thank you so much!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Yes, the owner decided to use a different coffee brewer (this is about a prototype job), and the contractor claims that in some cases the new coffee burner burned out the power board. It would be nice to talk to the manufacturer if this is really the case, but that's another story. So yes, I would prefer to have it confirmed by the manufacturer if this is the case and if it is, I would definitely specify the step-down transformer on the drawings. I just wanted to know if there is any section of the NEC that would specifically apply to this case. Thank you so much!
what does the nameplate on the appliance actually say.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
One issue is that for a heating appliance the wattage would go up 33% when you connect the unit designed for 208 volts to a 240 volt supply. Some equipment is designed for that use, and other is not. You need to see the manufacturer's instructions.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
From my experience coffee makers are not universal. You can usually get replacement elements for the correct voltage. We have had the 208/240 voltage problem on a few projects when appliances get ordered by people that don't know there is a difference. Replacement elements are much cheaper and less work than adding a transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.