Step up transformer grounding

TXMaster

Occupation
Master Electrician
I have a situation that requires a step-up transformer from 3ph 208V to 3ph 480V. The transformer proposed is wye input and delta output. The load does not use a neutral. How can I meet code without intentionally grounding one leg of the delta output? The load cannot handle a corner ground. Is there any advantage to using a wye input? The load is a VFD with a dual motor output for A/C fans in an air handler.

Attachments

• 1725487181100.png
    1725487181100.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 10

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I have a situation that requires a step-up transformer from 3ph 208V to 3ph 480V. The transformer proposed is wye input and delta output. The load does not use a neutral. How can I meet code without intentionally grounding one leg of the delta output? The load cannot handle a corner ground. Is there any advantage to using a wye input? The load is a VFD with a dual motor output for A/C fans in an air handler.
Not all VFDs are rated to be used with an ungrounded delta. You best choice would be th Wye output, which should be a standard design from all major manufacturer. Some manufacturer will list the output as 460Y or may call their unit a Drive Isolation transformer.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Unless I am misreading your transformer nameplate the output is 480Y/277

TXMaster

Occupation
Master Electrician
Man guys. Its been a long day. I already figured this out last week and that's why I chose this wye output. Sorry!!! Arrrgh. Time to go home. SMH.