Stocking for the aftermath of a storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfish

Hey guys, I was wondering what types of materials I should stock up on to be ready for the aftermath of a hurricane. I'm pretty sure a lot of services will be knocked down, but I know a lot of you Florida guys could probably include a lot of other ideas. It looks like Emily might hit us here in South Texas. Any ideas? :)

bphgravity

Re: Stocking for the aftermath of a storm.

Water, gas, batteries, toilet paper, and tire repair kits.

Once you get through the initial crisis, typical overhead service materials and equipment will be all you really need. Roof boots, weatherheads, riser masts, hubs, straps, service entrance conductors, etc...

Also stock generator materials. Cords, connectors, transfer switches, disco's, etc. Everybody is going to want power as soon as possible.

Also except lots of light poles to be down, antennas, satellite dishes, etc.

southernboys

Red as far as personal needs get gas now. Get nonperishible foods, chainsaws, toilitries, water, batteries,flashlights,ice is a must.

southernboys

Ok sorry about that. As far as work material buy a small generator. Buy a few powerpacks, ridgid conduit, hubs, lockrings, picture what you would need for an overheas service. Id also get pvc conduit, swedges, tas, couplings and anything else you may need for underground services. Buy 2 pole breakers for the powerpack. The ones we typically put in last year were sump pumps, ranges, ac units buy some disconects, water heater. You know the drill. Get some manual transfer switches, 12 gauge extension cords anything else you would need for a generator. Just remember with these generators hook em up outside and do not backfeed! Take care of your house boarding it up and such then worry about your customers. Best of luck and if you can think strongly about leaving. Just depends on your situation. I rode out both Ivan and Dennis would do so again. However a cat 5 is a diferent story.

redfish

Thanks for the input, thank goodness it looks like Emily is going to miss us. :)

bphgravity

Just remember that landfall predictions are on average off by nearly 80 miles. Hurricane Charley was "supposed" to hit 100 miles to my north.

jimwalker

be carefull as they come down hard on price gougers.Not saying you would but keep prices at same as before it hits.Material should not be all that hard to come by.Maybe send a helper 200 miles away to pick up what you need if it hits.Adding that to price is justified as overtime is for your workers

redfish

Thanks again, we're still not out of danger yet, and I can get same day delivery from my supplier tomorrow. I'm going to order material needed to repair or replace downed services. :)

[ July 17, 2005, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: redfish ]

allenwayne

After last years series of hurricanes ripped through this area I was with out power for 2 weeks :cool:

rick hart

I have never been through a hurricane but, I have gone through a major suprise ice storm. What we ran out of in Dallas were tape, split bolts, wedge clamps, screw insulators and wire.

redfish

Not that I'm planning on back feeding any panels, but around here a main service disconnect is required between the meter and the panel. As long as the disconnect is off, there should not be a back feed to poco. :)

southernboys

Red how easy would it be for a ho to walk out to that panel not knowing what he is doing and turn the disconect in. Or another scenario the ho sees you hook up the gen thinks I can do this next time. Hooks up gen and forgets to turn main off. I used to feel same way you do however hearing about a lineman getting killed has changed my opinion. Therefore you have one of two options put up a manual transfer switch or run ext cords.

mc5w

What I would stock are a bunch of SquareD combination service entrance devices so that the wiring from the socket to the main breaker is already done at the factory. One of the models can be equipped with a generator interlock that makes it a UL listed manual transfer switch which cuts the wiring time even better. If the utility requires a dedicated ground rod for the meter socket so that lightning protection inside of electronic meters will work right, even more time and hassle saved.

Also, for temporary lighting Honeywell make a 24 volt transformer with power relay mounted on a 4x4 box cover. This would allow you to do temporary light switches using thermostat cable ( please use 4or 5-wire thermostat cable since grounding is required for all voltages. ) It comes in version with a single pole double throw relay and another version with a double pole double throw relay.

Temporary light strings equipped with cheap 14 watt compact fluorescent refit bulbs ( conserves gasoline or diesel fuel ).

Enough stuff to wire at least 3 houses so that you can ride out price gouging.

Temporary well pump and pressure tank that you can stick into somebody's well to get running water back on. BTW, make sure that one of your generators will start and run the doggone thing becaue submersible pumps for 4 inch wells tend to have code S starting current. Also equip with ozonator or chloring pump in case the well is a little germy. An additional shallow well pump in case you need to suck out of a stream or pond for washing the mud off of stuff.

Lots of swimming pool liquid chlorine ( 10% sodium hypochlorite rather than the 5.75% sold for laundry use ) so that you can disinfect wells or surface water.

A motor home with diesel generator, air conditioning. Stock up lots of propane and diesel fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.