Stocking of Inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrician123

Trying to get ideas about what type of electrical supply inventory (outside of tools, wire and base needs) to carry in a small contractor warehouse. With an economy that is "unusually unstable" to quote a Washington type, I don't want to load up on dust collectors. Being in traffic signal service there is an actual inventory list published that will suggest to service companies what to carry, how many and what the pricing is for these parts. However, I've never seen any stocking suggestions about what type of fuse to carry and what amperages may be needed for a 24 hour service crew to have on hand, what replacement parts are most called for (ballasts? what range?), breaker panels?, transformers?. What do other forum readers stock on truck or in warehouse for 24 hour service calls? Do you service commercial, residential accounts or both also.

Rewire

Breakers; QO,GE, homeline,FP,murry,CH
Fuses;barrel 60a,edison20A,15A
recps,switches both CU and AL
100A panel
200a panel
100adisconnect
200A disconnect
splice kit 1-4/0
A/C disconnect
GFI breakers 20A
seveal 20a extension cords

cadpoint

Use some of the various items or combinations of (short) phrases of items that your seeking into the advance search option of this forum.

There has been several listed as per you inquiry; posted/treaded - stated (as your asking) over the Years...

Note the dates and the author. I'd say go back about 2+ years. JMO...

Ragin Cajun

Depends on a number of issues. if you are providing 24 hr service, you will have a pretty large inventory.

However, that inventory is costing you profit to keep! I look back and realize we have a tendency to "stock" way TOO much. It "ages" both literally and figuratively over the years. And then we throw it out because we don't use it.

Perhaps we need to utilize the suppliers stock more effectively.

krisinjersey

What's and actual emergency?

What's and actual emergency?

I was with a company that believed they had this down to a science. Emergency were classified 2 ways. Things that were critical, power loss to a residence or business, critical care equipment, husband away and wife freaking out, or anything that had the potential for additional loss or damages to the customer. Then the not critical but they were willing to pay for the service call, my A/C is out and it's hot, my garagedoor opener won't work, my post light needs a new bulb, that kind of stuff.

We stocked a full set of breakers from 6 major manufacturers. A full set of fuses upto 100A 250v and 200A 600V. We kept everything to replace the top half of a service minus the SEU. A 2pole 30A and 60A fusible disconnect. Small control transformers for furnaces. A handful of junction boxes and covers. UF splice kits. Co-Alr wirenuts. Suicide cords. A set of receptacls in each color. Switches, the same. Insulink crimps upto 4/0 and the crimper.
But you have to watch because the stuff get damaged in the truck and then you end up throwing out inventory/money.

Each truck carried alot of material and was inventoried annually. You need to get a good feel for what you offer and what could break that you would get a call for. What are the 100 items you have used the most in the last few years? Each mechanic was responsible for his truck stock, so if you were sent to do a call for an A/C disconnect and it had found it's way to a side job, you got snagged. It kept guys honest.

That shop does everything from control wiring to high voltage line construction, so the inventory was pretty extensive. It took the entire staff a weekend to inventory the shop and then we'd get our updated price book at a whoppin 200+ pages. We were always told that even at the inflated rates, emergency service was not a money maker it was just another way t keep the customer on the hook.

At the company I run now, we offer limited emergency service and mostly to existing customers. We do all emergency calls as COD because of the high cost and collecting can be tough. We don't take insurance checks either, the customer pays us, the insurance company can pay them when they get around to it. We also don't provide "temporary fixes", basically if your main blew up and you needed power now, you get a 50 A 2 pole crimped to the service conductors and a re-fed. That way they don't forget to have you come back and finish with the new panel or main.

I think everyone on here will agree if you don't use it regularly it isn't worth stocking on the off chance you'll need it in a pinch. If it's that important the supply house will open a 3:00am to get you one for the right price;)

Rewire

Alot depends on your area we are in a resort community and we do alot of docks. many were wired with direct burial cable and over the years rocks will cut through it we keep 20A cords so we can run from the house down to the dock to power the boat lifts and then we can returt during work hours to do a perminant repair.
We also have many mobile homes which need AL receptacles and switches.Photo cells are another item as most homes have dusk to dawn lights

cowboyjwc

Staff member
And I always found that you could do alot with a boat load of phone numbers. They will not always help after hours, but just because your usual wholesale house doesn't carry something or can't get it in a timely manner, doesn't mean that someone else can't. You may pay more, but you'll look like a hero.

Also nothing wrong with being friends with some of the other local contractors. Some guys specialize and maybe he can help you with parts that you know he stocks that you normally wouldn't.

krisinjersey

Suicide Cords

Suicide Cords

Two reasons. One, to replace appliance cords that were improperly installed and have now failed, like the dishwasher romex and cord end jobs, and the "I don't have the right stuff, so I'll fold these over and jam them into the receptacle so it can melt and be replaced by an electrician later", and the "this is what the guy at HD said I needed" job. And two, because emergency service is expensive and collecting gets easier at the business end of a suicide cord LOL. I always get paid ;) for service calls!

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
notice what you didn't have for an emergency job, decided if the same emeregency is likely to happen again & if you could make more money by stocking such item, and if so, buy it & put it in stock. never stop doing this and stock will be fine tuned.

similiar theory as supply house missed sales list, which i constantly suggest to some local suppliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.