Stolen meter base lug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

Im trying to figure out how to repair this apartments meter base. Its a 4 gang meter base and someone cut the wires from the load side and stole the meter prong block that fed 1 apt. The inspector wrote that he wants new service wires pulled to the apartments inside breaker box which is inside the apt 80' away. Why not just use split bolts and add splices inside the meter base and install a new meter base prong block? Now the inspector wants new wire? I see several problems with this and here they are.
(1) The 4 gang meter base is not grounded to a cold water pipe or a ground rod. Conduits leave the bottom of the 4 gang meter base where they run under the slab and turn up inside each apt to a 125A panel.
(2) There are 3 wires feeding the apt's 125A panels and the panels do not have a main breaker. The neutrals are bonded to the grounds inside the breaker boxes. The conduit cannot be used as a ground path because the conduit is PVC in the slab.
(3) The conduit is 1 1/4" and too small to add a ground wire.
(4) The owner wants to run a new 4 wire cable through the attic but then he would need a 125A disco outside and if we do this then I have to seperate the grounds and neutrals inside the apt breaker box. If I do this then run a ground rod and CWG outside for my disco then what about the remaining 3 panels that still have there neutrals and grounds bonded inside? I need help and cant figure this one out. Thanks.

LLSolutions

1) is there OCPD outside on or fed from the meter assembly? How I read this is that there is no OCPD inside or outside? That being that case you may as well install the disconnects outside and run the wire through the attic and split the neutrals and grounds at the panels, as for the cold water pipe run one or double ground rod.

GG

1) is there OCPD outside on or fed from the meter assembly? How I read this is that there is no OCPD inside or outside? That being that case you may as well install the disconnects outside and run the wire through the attic and split the neutrals and grounds at the panels, as for the cold water pipe run one or double ground rod.
You are ccorrect, there are no OCPD outside and or inside. So I would not be able to just add 1 disco for the 1 apt, but instead I would have to add 4 disco's and split up the neutrals and grounds and pull a 4th ground wire to each of the 4 apartments? Plus make my neutral and ground connections outside at the discos. Thats what I think needs to be done.

LLSolutions

I don't see any other way then to add the disconnects, I don't really understand how the installation was allowed in the first place without OCPD unless each panel had only 6 breakers, still it should have been properly bonded and grounded. Good Luck.

GG

someone broke into a meter base and stole parts? thats really odd...:confused:
It was a vacant unit and had a clear plastic cover where the meter goes. I imagine the thief had to be an electrician as the line side was still hot and obviously knew what to do. They took the 2 screws out of the meter prong block and took that. Probablly needed it for a job. That happens about once a month where I bid a job that someone has uninstalled either HVAC or electrical equipment.

GG

I don't see any other way then to add the disconnects, I don't really understand how the installation was allowed in the first place without OCPD unless each panel had only 6 breakers, still it should have been properly bonded and grounded. Good Luck.
I think Im going to pass on the job. The owner handed me a paper where the inspector wrote "install new service wires". I would bet a million $$ that once I pull the permit the inspector will come out and want the entire building brought up to code and then the owner is going to look at me and say "you didnt know that" and want me to do the work for free. No thanks.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why is 1 1/4? too small for a 125 amps single feeder? You can easily install 3-#2 or 3-#1 CU THWN conductors with 1 #6 in this raceway.

GG

Why is 1 1/4? too small for a 125 amps single feeder? You can easily install 3-#2 or 3-#1 CU THWN conductors with 1 #6 in this raceway.
I meant to say the conduit is broken and the existing wires dont budge so Im not going to attempt to pull a ground wire into the existing conduit. Plus even if I could there is nothing outside to land it to as all of the grounding is done at the inside panels. This job is a complete mess, was never done right, and I know the owner is not going to spend the kind of money it would take to bring it all up to code.

Status
Not open for further replies.