Storm Sewer Under Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed downey

I have a situation where the civil engineer has drawn the 10" diameter (PVC) pipe under a utility transformer and a 480V NEMA 3R Switchboard (About 9 feet below grade).

Besides the obvious that if something ever happens to the PVC pipe underground we could have major issues with the electrical service. Is there any code reference that you could help me with to get the piping re-routed.

-Ed

drbond24

This may not be what you want to hear, but I don't see a problem with that. If they are 9' apart that is plenty of room. If they were 9' apart horizontally instead of vertically would you still have a problem with it (just curious)?

ed downey

I don't really have a problem with the Storm line running under the transformer & gear.

I have a problem with future maintenance of the storm line that is under the transformer & gear.

ed downey

Just trying to think ahead. It is a bad habit
icon10.gif

wireguru

there have been numerous sinkholes caused where a crack or hole develops in the pipe (which I dont think would happen with the pvc, I believe the times this has happened it was clay or cement pipe) dirt falls into the pipe and the water flowing through the pipe carries the dirt away, this keeps happening untl there there is no more dirt...so if the ground opens up and swallows your transformer you know what happened :D

And dont use 10ft ground rods........

Status
Not open for further replies.