Stranded VS Solid

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Stranded VS Solid

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

russ

This is a residential work question so I would go with solid. To me easier and quicker to trim especially on switches and receptacle with 14 wire. 12 solid wire is ok too, if you don't fill the boxes to the limit. Stranded is better when trying to stuff a bunch of wire in a box with a GFCI.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is a residential work question so I would go with solid. To me easier and quicker to trim especially on switches and receptacle with 14 wire. 12 solid wire is ok too, if you don't fill the boxes to the limit. Stranded is better when trying to stuff a bunch of wire in a box with a GFCI.

Thanks for pointing that out. No wonder my responses seemingly have nothing to do with this thread. :roll:

mightyjoe

Some years back we used solid, and had a problem, the wires were slightly kinked then straightened, learned the hard way they burnt in half. Fortunately that was a raceway and wires were able to be replaced. I always prefer stranded.

sparky59

If i did residential i would definitely use solid. I always use stranded on commercial jobs. It is easier to pull and you don't have shorts like you do with a lot of solids crammed in a j-box. I really like the stranded MC cable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.