Strange Appliance Specs

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I got a call from a restaurant, where I had just ran two 20A circuits for griddles, to come and put a plug on the cord of a new griddle they just got.
I told them most equipment that is 120V comes with a plug and I feared something was off with this as it had no plug. I asked him to send me a picture of the nameplate on the griddle. My fear was correct as you can see in the picture. What would you run for this new griddle? I'm thinking #10 on a 30A SP GFCI breaker and an L6-30R & L6-30P.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
32A circuit and use of the term “leakage switch**” is because this was NOT built to be used in North America, at all. Circuit sizes in other countries are 16A and 32A, as are their fuses and breakers.

No UL, CSA or ETL listing either, further proof. I wouldn’t touch it, because by doing so, YOU are at risk for taking on liability for it.

At best, I would install the NEMA L5-30R (not 6-30 because this is 120V) outlet for them fed from a 30A 1 pole GFCI breaker (good luck finding one in stock) and tell them that if they want to take the risk of using it, they will have to put the plug on it themselves.

** Yes, “leakage switch” would refer to an “Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker”, their equivalent of a GFCI.