Strange wire size

Status
Not open for further replies.

karn

Occupation
Electrician
I seen this Q/A and was somewhat confused by it as I've used plenty of 3/0, and 4/0, not to mention 750mcm, and my cutters go up to 2k mcm, and I've heard if 5k mcm,,, etc,, just curious as to understanding the q/a

Q: What gauge number indicates the largest diameter copper wire?

A: 00

MAC702

Geez. We have to Google that? Okay. Some kind of certification for RV technicians, as in Recreational Vehicles.

Pretty narrow industry but it's odd that anyone would say something without knowing the limits of their expertise. Regardless, wire sizes obviously go bigger, and I've seen 7/0 on charts, even though not in our industry, as it gets the other nomenclature for above 4/0.

Was their any additional context to the question?

Was it a multiple choice, and that was the largest of the available answers, and maybe that was the point of their question?

karn

Occupation
Electrician
Not sure, someone taking the exam was showing me the question and was wanting to know why 2/0 was the correct answer, I didn't know if there was something strange I haven't heard of before

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
"Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!"
Sheet metal came first, and the gauge number represented the number of times it had been through the rolling mill. That's why bigger number represent thinner metal.

When iron wire came along, they adopted the same gauge-number system that was in use for sheet iron.

When copper wire came along, they started using the same gauge-number system as for iron wire.
(there's another gauge-number system for sheet copper, that's different than the one for sheet iron & steel, but it wasn't adopted for copper wire)

When a bigger measure than #1 became needed, #0 was invented. And #00, #000, and so forth.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Sheet metal came first, and the gauge number represented the number of times it had been through the rolling mill. That's why bigger number represent thinner metal.

When iron wire came along, they adopted the same gauge-number system that was in use for sheet iron.

When copper wire came along, they started using the same gauge-number system as for iron wire.
(there's another gauge-number system for sheet copper, that's different than the one for sheet iron & steel, but it wasn't adopted for copper wire)

When a bigger measure than #1 became needed, #0 was invented. And #00, #000, and so forth.

Wiki gives us a totally different story:

"Wire gauges may be broadly divided into two groups, the empirical and the geometric. The first includes all the older gauge measurements, notably the Birmingham gauge (B.W.G. or Stubs) and the Lancashire. The origin of the B.W.G. is obscure. The numbers of wire were in common use earlier than 1735. It is believed that they originally were based on the series of drawn wires, No. 1 being the original rod, and succeeding numbers corresponding with each draw, so that No. 10, for example, would have passed ten times through the draw plate. But the Birmingham and the Lancashire gauge, the latter being based on an averaging of the dimensions collated from a large number of the former in the possession of Peter Stubs of Warrington, have long held the leading position, and are still retained and used probably to a greater extent than the more recent geometrical gauges.

The first attempt to adopt a geometrical system was made by Messrs Brown & Sharpe in 1855. They established a regular progression of thirty-nine steps between the English sizes, No. 0000 (460 mils or about 12 mm) and No. 36 (5 mils or about 0.13 mm). Each diameter was multiplied by 0.890526 to give the next lower size. This is now the American wire gauge (AWG), and is used to a considerable extent in the United States."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_gauge

jeff48356

Geez. We have to Google that? Okay. Some kind of certification for RV technicians, as in Recreational Vehicles.

Pretty narrow industry but it's odd that anyone would say something without knowing the limits of their expertise. Regardless, wire sizes obviously go bigger, and I've seen 7/0 on charts, even though not in our industry, as it gets the other nomenclature for above 4/0.

Well, 7/0 would be 350 kcmil, even though it's not what it's called in the trade.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Well, 7/0 would be 350 kcmil, even though it's not what it's called in the trade.

7/0 would not be 350kcmil. It would be bigger, I'm pretty sure. Wire gauge is proportional, kcmil is a consistent unit. I couldn't tell you the history of why the industry switches from one measurement system to the other above 4/0, but I know that much.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Time to go SI, folks..........:D

For example, 120mm^2 is actually the real world physical dimension.

kwired

Electron manager
The question simply may have been

Which is the largest conductor:

A: 00

B: 18

C: 6

D: 12

Those that don't know squat may have picked 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.