strapping down ladders on racks, what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

What do you guys use to hold down ladders on a static rack on a cargo van? I want something fast and secure. Im not in the market to change 3 vans to the hydraulic assist or drop down racks, but clearly that would work

We use this one

they also sell this but doesn't appear to be compatible with our racks and seems like road salt/dirt/weather would kill it

Also this, again doesnt appear compatible and needing 2 at a cost of $150, leaves me wondering.

Everyone has a different way, Romex, ratchet straps, chains, bungies. They all have their +/-. I realize romex is not technically safe, and would be in a world of hurt of something fell off from that (bungie cords too)

I'm 6' 1" all my guys are a just a but shorter and I'm can barely reach with straps/cords from the ground. Yes the 6 footer inside can be readily taken out to use, but I want to know what you guys do.

iwire

Staff member
In the past I have used NM, I know it looks hack so I hide it well but I find it works well and is easily replaced when it gets lost or beat up.

Now we have Adrian Steel Grip Lock ladder racks. I love them as long as I only need to carry the same two ladders. Change ladders or need a third ladder and out come the bungees. http://www.adriansteel.com/item/pickup-trucks/1704/

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Around here the county police will stop and ticket you if you have bungee cords or NM cable holding down your ladders. I believe that their is a federal mandate for approved straps that they vigorously enforce.

PetrosA

I'm going to second the vote for the side drop down type that the others are linking to. It's a lot easier loading an extension ladder from the side than from the back of the truck and the stop on the front rail seems way more secure than any bungee or romex. They're also easy to lock with one of these around the lock down bar. for the second ladder I use a bungee up front and a chain and padlock from the back.

If you have to stick with what you have then I'd recommend good quality US made bungees or romex on the front, and a chain and lock on the back, where you can reach it with the rear doors open, or closed if you have a step bumper. Move the rear bar as far back as you can to make access easier. That way you're not trying to secure it while standing on the rear wheel ;) The other hold downs you linked to seem uncomfortable since you have to access them from the side, probably with a stepladder.

nhfire77

Around here the county police will stop and ticket you if you have bungee cords or NM cable holding down your ladders. I believe that their is a federal mandate for approved straps that they vigorously enforce.

Soooo any idea what that is? Vehicles without MC # (under 10000 GVW) too?

Around here, anything falls off you'll get a ticket for failure to properly secure a load, I get that. (god forbid a back hoe falls of a trailer hits someone and kills them Nstar did )

I had been wondering about that. I wonder what the 'approved standards' are? 3x safety factor based on weight I guess.

tbakelis

Back saver

Back saver

I'm short, 5'7"... I love my hydraulic prime design ladder rack. I could not see myself using anything else. Worth every penny.

iwire

Staff member
Soooo any idea what that is? Vehicles without MC # (under 10000 GVW) too?

Around here, anything falls off you'll get a ticket for failure to properly secure a load, I get that. (god forbid a back hoe falls of a trailer hits someone and kills them Nstar did )

I had been wondering about that. I wonder what the 'approved standards' are? 3x safety factor based on weight I guess.

I would not be surprised if it applies to commercial vehicles, our shop gives each van a DOT kit of flares, chock block etc.

But I once pulled into a weigh station that was open and had signs that said all commercial vehicles pull in. I did and the MA state trooper looked at me like I was an idiot and told me to get going. :bye:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We pull a lot of scissor lifts with our vans, on the left coast, they make us use 4 separate tie downs to the lifts, everywhere else allow two tied to four points. Our insurance company will not allow use to use Romex or even #10 solid to tie down ladders, but there ok with bungy straps. I have never had a ladder come loose with wire, but I have had bungy straps break. They don't last that long out in the weather. Same with ratchet straps, you have to replace them fairly frequently.

PetrosA

We pull a lot of scissor lifts with our vans, on the left coast, they make us use 4 separate tie downs to the lifts, everywhere else allow two tied to four points. Our insurance company will not allow use to use Romex or even #10 solid to tie down ladders, but there ok with bungy straps. I have never had a ladder come loose with wire, but I have had bungy straps break. They don't last that long out in the weather. Same with ratchet straps, you have to replace them fairly frequently.

Yes, bungee straps and retreads litter the US landscape ;). In 14 years living and driving in Europe, I never once saw a retread on the road, or a bungee strap. I would definitely be looking for something in addition to a bungee to tie down ladders. I had a good, heavy duty one pop off a few weeks ago just from pulling into a parking lot where the road and entrance had a dip in it, so maybe 10 mph. There's no way in hades that a bungee is going to secure a ladder in a collision.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
i haven't had to do this for a while. Pickup with a pipe rack. 6" pin welded to the second back cross piece. Slide the ladder up on the rack on it's side - lay it down flat over the pin. Tie down is a bungy at the back rail - no tie down in front. Works really well - even if one does not put the bungy on the back.

However, I never had to get it on/off once/twice a day - maybe once a week. I suspect my attitude would change if I had to move it every day.

ice

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Don't use this!! I saw this happen right in front of me at a traffic light.
Scary....since there was a baby/small child in a car seat in the back.

Attachments

• DSC00144.jpg
    DSC00144.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 3

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Most ladder racks have a solid stop the ladder hits so it should stay in place during a collision. The straps typically just have the ladder down.

Vans, yes, but most pickup racks do not. I just got a new truck, and the rack is not as high as our old ones (we carried one man lifts in the back) so it's a lot easier getting a ladder off now, but I have to design a better fastening system than the bungee cords the insurance company wants.

nhfire77

?????? a new bungy i have is embossed not for use as primary means to secure a load.

The would stop keeps to from going forward in all but a horrific crash. Of course I know that's only true until it does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.