Stray Power or Chemicals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In dealing with an Overhead service with the Main Breaker turned off.... could the metal cover frame on a pool to the surface of the water get .02 volts as a result of chemicals in the pool? or is this stray voltage from ????? :-?

Thanks!
All Electric Services - Southern Illinois

No, no one is getting shocked. Out customer is just concerned by this and we are wondering if it is possible for the chemicals in the pool to have a reaction that would cause this voltage? Any suggestions?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is all of the required pool bonding, including the water bonding, installed? You are still connected to the grounded conductor and there is often a voltage on the grounded conductor when measured to "remote" earth. If the pool and its water, if not bonded, would be "remote" earth.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Voltage must be measured between _two_ points. Where are you putting your volt meter probes?

Are you measuring an AC or a DC voltage?

Different metals in contact with an electrolyte (the pool water) could develop DC voltage of several hundred mV; this is not an electrical health concern, but it may indicate galvanic corrosion issues.

-Jon

gar

Occupation
EE
080709-2131 EST

Probably most Fluke meters have an input capacitor in series with the AC voltage input. Thus, if using one of these in the AC position and you get a reading, then it is not a DC voltage.

20 MV is a very small ground potential. In my home yard relative to the incoming water pipe I am above and below this value somewhat.

I have several posts at:
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=99809&highlight=ground+voltage+measurements
with my voltage measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.