Stray voltage around the pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

kosinar

I have being struggling with this problem since I built my fiberglass inground pool in 2002. When I am in the pool and touch wet concrete of my pool deck with part of my body with sensitive skin or skin with even small abrasion I get burning sensation. I measured this current and it is around 2.5V DC. I suspected current leakage from power company inground cable supplying electricity to my house and asked them to investigate it. They sent a guy that installed some kind of box on my ground reebar and left it there for few days. After few day box disapeared and I have never heard from them. I just learned to live with it assuming that it is not life threatening. After coming accross this blog my concern for safety reemerged. I installed the pool myself and have followed the code for grounding and wireing plus I had it inspected by building inspector. All of the components of the pool are grounded to ground reebar. I run a test where I disconnected everything from the power source and the ground and the current was still there. It does not make any sence. Is there any way to eliminate this problem? Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I just learned to live with it assuming that it is not life threatening.
Not a good assumption, and I am relieved to see that you now realize that is not a good assumption. There is a real danger here. But none of us can evaluate the degree of danger, without a more intimate knowledge of the actual, as-installed conditions. You say you followed code, but it is possible that there are some code requirements of which neither you nor the building inspector may have been aware. We cannot say. I urge you to consider hiring a professional electrician to perform a complete evaluation of your installation. The source of the current may not be from your own home?s power system, but a shock will not hurt any less because of that fact. Safety must be the first consideration.

That said, however, I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum?s rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation, troubleshooting, or repair work.

I would encourage you to stick around. This Forum has much to offer.

Charles E. Beck, P.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.