Stripped SER in conduit.

Occupation
General Contractor
Hello,

If the conductors in an SER cable are individually listed, with such information printed on individual conductors, and their individual listing is permitted for use in wet locations and in conduit (I usually see THHN-2 or XHHW-2), is there a specific prohibition in the NEC of using the individual conductors of an SER cable without its jacket?

I know that the bare aluminum ground would not be able to be used in many of these instances.

An NEC reference would be appreciated.

I’m on 2020 NEC.

Hello,

If the conductors in an SER cable are individually listed, with such information printed on individual conductors, and their individual listing is permitted for use in wet locations and in conduit (I usually see THHN-2 or XHHW-2), is there a specific prohibition in the NEC of using the individual conductors of an SER cable without its jacket?

I know that the bare aluminum ground would not be able to be used in many of these instances.

I’m on 2020 NEC.
No prohibition, you are just transitioning to a different wiring method. There is no requirement to have a splice. As you say the bare AL EGC couldn't be used some places.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
As long as the SER inner conductors comply with 310.4 (insulation type) and 310.8 (marking), they are suitable for use within one of the raceway wiring methods of Chapter 3, like any other such conductor.

You would need to make a proper transition from the cable type (SER) wiring method to the raceway wiring method. I.e. you couldn't just strip the jacket and feed the conductors into the open end of a piece of raceway. You'd need a box or at least a cable clamp on the end of the raceway. But this would end up being a splice-free transition. Or with a box or type C condulet you could splice the bare aluminum EGC if necessary.

Cheers, Wayne

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
As long as the SER inner conductors comply with 310.4 (insulation type) and 310.8 (marking), they are suitable for use within one of the raceway wiring methods of Chapter 3, like any other such conductor.
I've never seen any, I used to strip scrap pieces of SER to do service conductors between meterbases and panels until I got called on it one time.
I feel like in the case if the OP it would be a better installation to strip the SER or pipe the whole run.