Stripping Large Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

'Large' is a relative term. Some IT folk think it's very cosmopolitan to have scissors with a stripping notch. Fingernails work just fine. 18 is large to them! ;)

frizbeedog

480sparky said:
'Large' is a relative term. Some IT folk think it's very cosmopolitan to have scissors with a stripping notch. Fingernails work just fine. 18 is large to them! ;)

Larger than anything offered on you usual set of strippers.

mdshunk

Kinda depends on how many I'm doing. If it's just a couple, a regular utility knife works just fine. If I'm going to be on poles all day, a Utility Tools 4x4 stripper is what I go for most of the time.

iwire

Staff member
frizbeedog said:
:grin:

I see you haven't cashed in your hug cupons yet. :wink:

:grin:

I like to use a utility knife with a nice sharp blade, I change them as soon as they get the least bit dull.

yhst-4829792992329_2005_210717663

peter d

My vote is for the utility knife as well. However, not all utility knives are created equal. For a lot of terminations or even stripping a piece of scrap wire, I prefer the Stanley quick change over the regular Stanley 99:

10-788_mid_res.jpg

tyha

I go for the klien cable splicers knife. keep it sharp and there is no beating it. those utility knives are not acceptable by osha standards and I do not allow my guys to use them for splicing cable. that is what klien makes their purdy knife for

mdshunk

tyha said:
those utility knives are not acceptable by osha standards and I do not allow my guys to use them for splicing cable.
Says you. I think that's a rumor that someone told you, and for some reason you believe it.

masterinbama

If you have one of the Klein or Ideal knives the best way to sharpen it is with a triple cut bastard file.You will more than likely have to go to a machinist supply store to get one but you should try it.
and by the way I am glad junior won even though I am not a fan

Status
Not open for further replies.