Strobe colors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAK

Anyone know if there is a code that would prohibit using a white or clear strobe light for a security system in a building that has a commercial fire panel that has white/clear strobes?
The security system strobe locations are in rooms where there is a white/clear fire alarm strobe?

RICK NAPIER

NFPA 72 just says that it cannot have the word fire or any fire symbol if it is for anything other than fire and would allow notification devices with multiple functions. I don't think it would be a problem if they meet this requirement. 2007 in 7.3.3.2 and 2010 in 18.3.3.2

jewellfish

You may want to consider how many strobes are viewable in this space if the fire panel will also activate the security panel strobes. Might have an issue, then, of non-sync'd strobes.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You may want to consider how many strobes are viewable in this space if the fire panel will also activate the security panel strobes. Might have an issue, then, of non-sync'd strobes.

Or if someone throws a Molotov cocktail into a space with a PIR and heat detector! Seriously, the fire alarm panel and security panel should be interconnected so that if the fire alarm throws an alarm, the security strobes shut down.

MAK

Or if someone throws a Molotov cocktail into a space with a PIR and heat detector! Seriously, the fire alarm panel and security panel should be interconnected so that if the fire alarm throws an alarm, the security strobes shut down.
That sounds like a great way to deal with the strobes not being able to be synced with each other. I was trying to find a code article in any applicable code that would state whether or not strobes in the same room that are not synced are allowed. From a design point it seems logical to disable the strobes on fire however I know I will not be allowed to change it with out showing the higher ups that it is a code violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.