Sub Contractor Liability Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinniem

Someone jog my memory please.

How much liabilty insurance must a subcontractor that you hire to work under your bussiness permit carry? ( in New Jersey)

Thanks

BackInTheHabit

Vinniem said:
Someone jog my memory please.

How much liabilty insurance must a subcontractor that you hire to work under your bussiness permit carry? ( in New Jersey)

Thanks

Based on your profile you are an Electrical Contractor. Just wondering why you are looking into sub-contractors.:-?

Anyway, I would make sure they carry Workman's Comp, and Disabilty. NJ seems to require at least these.

As far as the liability insurance goes $1 to $2 Million would be sufficient. I had a $2 Million Liability coverage and it wasn't very expensive. Most builders I worked for required at least $1 Million in General Liability Insurance. If you are doing work for builders and you want these subs to do work on those same builder they should have, IMHO, at least if not more than what you carry.

480sparky

BackInTheHabit said:
Based on your profile you are an Electrical Contractor. Just wondering why you are looking into sub-contractors.:-?

I'm an EC as well, and I sub out work. Fire alarms, burglar alarms, whole-house sound and home theaters, concrete cutting, roof patching, drywall repair....

BackInTheHabit

480sparky said:
I'm an EC as well, and I sub out work. Fire alarms, burglar alarms, whole-house sound and home theaters, concrete cutting, roof patching, drywall repair....

I realize that some ECs do sub out work like you mentioned. The OP didn't specify what he or she was trying to sub out. If he's strictly residential I don't see the need to sub out work. Subbing out work in residential is almost cost prohibitive. If he's commercial or industrial I see no problem. If the sub is well established they should have a letter of liabilty signed to the EC who is using them as a sub.

Vinniem

Thanks, 480 Sparkey

I'm a one man show and I have some jobs coming up that would go faster if I had help.

I really don't want to hire a helper unless I really had to.

It just takes longer doing everything by yourself.

So I thought if I brought someone in from time to time it would really help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.