sub metering

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local inspector wants to know what allows me to install CTs from a emon style submeter in a disconnect. He also has a problem with the CT wiring being in the conduit with the line voltage wiring, even though the wiring diagram shows it that way.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would follow the manufacturer's instructions. How else could you hook this up? I would also take a look at 312.8.

Welcome to the Forum.:)

Its OK in our area to resell power to tenants, as long as you don't mark it up. 312.8 probably is an issue even though the 2 CTs and their 4 #18 sit in the bottom of the disconnect taking up almost no space.

raider1

Staff member
Its OK in our area to resell power to tenants, as long as you don't mark it up. 312.8 probably is an issue even though the 2 CTs and their 4 #18 sit in the bottom of the disconnect taking up almost no space.

Actually I doubt that 312.8 would be an issue. Basically it says that you can't use a cabinet for a raceway or junction box unless adequate space is provided. Most likely if the CT's are small enough there would be ample space for them in the bottom of the panel.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Actually I doubt that 312.8 would be an issue. Basically it says that you can't use a cabinet for a raceway or junction box unless adequate space is provided. Most likely if the CT's are small enough there would be ample space for them in the bottom of the panel.

Chris

I agree. I only mentioned 312.8 as the one possible scenario that would make this not work. Having said that it would be almost impossible to violate that section with this installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.