Sub Panel Disconnect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tspargo

Hello All,

Simple question I hope. Was at a home today, main panel and 3 interior panels with subpanel on exterior detached building, to boot there was a vacated main panel acting as a subpanel.

All subpanels, interior and exterior had more than 6 throws to turn all off and all were protected upstream at panels with OCD for disconnect.

On the interior 1 of the subpanels was fed by main service panel and was OK. The vacated main that is now a subpanel is feeding the other 3 subpanels....the two other interior and 1 exterior

The detached building has about 12 throws all together and I assume needs it's own disconnect and GES (wasn't visible).

Is anything different that one could think of as a sub is feeding multiple subs??

Are subs on interior of same structure as main exempt from the 6 throw rule? I realize the detached is not..I think my head got turned around looking at all this today :)

Two of the interior subpanels being fed by vacated main that is now acting as a subpanel on exterior of home (looks like they added on &
installed new panel)

Tim

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I think a diagram would help a lot with this question.

The six handle rule applies to the first panel of any building, essentially. So, if there is a main disconnect in the first panel, then subsequent panels inside the same building would not need a disconnect inside them.

The first panel inside the detached structure would require six throws or less, also.

For starters, check out the FAQs based on the 2005 NEC.

tspargo

Thanks George, that's great clarification. I really appreciate it!

It's tough sometimes to make a call at something you're looking at versus how you would do it yourself, as I looked at the installs and would have provided a disconnect there as the residence was quite large as you could guess from the number of panels.

Here's a pic of how they brang in the ground to vacated main... ugh!

I could try to make a diagram and post in the AM.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
...as the residence was quite large as you could guess from the number of panels.
There are five panels in my dad's house, and it's tiny. Just symptoms of old houses.

Here's a pic of how they brang in the ground to vacated main... ugh!

Do you have a farther-away shot? Confused as to what I'm looking at.

I could try to make a diagram and post in the AM.
Sounds good, if you need more help.

tspargo

Directly above this is the old meter socket on the left hand side of panel. The picture is of the exterior subpanel that used to be the main. The feeds and ground came in from the new main and attached where you see it, the the other grounds and neutrals are mixed in this panel on what used to be the neutral bar.

Typical stuff, although I suppose it probably shouldn't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.