Sub-panel fed with 3 wire SE cable

Deke1069

New User
Occupation
Electric Contractor
The area that I work in has numerous houses with sub-panels that are fed with a 3 wire SE cable, two hots and a bare neutral/ground and all the grounds and neutrals are on the same bus bar. The obvious fix is to re-pull a 4 wire SER cable and separate the grounds and neutrals but this is a hard sell. Is it code compliant to just pull an appropriate sized separate ground from the same source as the original SE cable? Or should I pull a separate insulated neutral and use the bare uninsulated conductor in the SE cable as the ground? Also when was the first year that neutrals and grounds needed to be separated added to the code book? Must have been 50's or earlier?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Why does it need to be fixed at all? Even if it is "wrong" unless some serious remodeling is done, who is going to know or care. And if serious remodeling is being done you should be able to just run some new romex.

I am not sure but I don't think the code ever allowed the bare wire of SE cable to be used as a neutral for a feeder, but I don't use SE cable so maybe I am wrong on this point.

But I also do not see it as your responsibility to replace the SE cable if all you are doing is adding or replacing some circuits downstream.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The area that I work in has numerous houses with sub-panels that are fed with a 3 wire SE cable, two hots and a bare neutral/ground and all the grounds and neutrals are on the same bus bar. The obvious fix is to re-pull a 4 wire SER cable and separate the grounds and neutrals but this is a hard sell. Is it code compliant to just pull an appropriate sized separate ground from the same source as the original SE cable? Or should I pull a separate insulated neutral and use the bare uninsulated conductor in the SE cable as the ground? Also when was the first year that neutrals and grounds needed to be separated added to the code book? Must have been 50's or earlier?
The bold is your only fix. The other ideas that you've mentioned are not code complaint.