sub panel feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

twowatt

We recently installed a 100A 120/240V 1phase MLO
load center at an out building located approximately 100' from the main house. We used
(3)#2 & (1)#4 ALU direct burial (XHHW.
The load center was for general wiring for the building. From this load center we fed a panel for the swimming pool. We fed the pool panel with conduit 1" with (2)#6 & (2)#8 from a 60A DP breaker.
The local inspector turned it down. He cited 680.25 and said the feeder to the sub panel had to be in conduit as well because it fed the pool panel. Have I misinterpreted the code?

jtester

Re: sub panel feeders

I am not sure what yur interpretation is, but 680.25 says that these provisions apply to any feeder on the supply side of the panelboards and on the load side of the service. Your feeder certainly seems to fall into that category. I believe the inspector is correct.

Jim T

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Both the feeder from the main building to the load center and the feeder from the load center to the pool panel are on the "supply side" of the "thing" that has branch circuits going to pool equipment. The "thing" to which I refer turns out to be what you called the "pool panel." Every feeder on its supply side falls under 680.25. I think the Inspector is right.

Any other views out there?

pierre

I agree with Jim and Charlie as far as the code issue. I am not too sure why the installation from the house to the pool house is necessary, but by the letter of the code it is.

Also I noticed you mentioned MLO Panel at the separate structure. If that panel has more than 6 overcurrent devices (disconnects) that panel will need a disconnect at the separate structure.

jwelectric

We need the address for the supervisor of this code enforcement official. I think that a raise in salary is in order for a job well done.

Now fill that hole in or wire it right. (This is meant as a joke)
:)

twowatt

Would that not mean that any disconnect or panel that feeds any remote panel that could feed a pool any time in the future need to be in conduit.

Had the pool not been installed the wiring method would have met code. Surely I am not that ignorant???

iwire

Staff member

There is an exception for existing feeders.

680.25(A) Exception: An existing feeder between an existing remote panelboard and service equipment shall be permitted to run in flexible metal conduit or an approved cable assembly that includes an equipment grounding conductor within its outer sheath. The equipment grounding conductor shall comply with 250.24(A)(5).

donnie

This is just my thoughts on the matter. The MLO panel fed from the house: my first thought is does it have a main at the nearest point of entry (because it is a separate structure )225.32, second, 680.25 (A) would not apply to the wiring to the MLO panel, but from the MLO panel to the pool panel it would. Because the MLO panel is not the Service Equipment panel that is worded in 680.25. Look at the definition of Service Equipment.

For whats its worth: Donnie

jwelectric

Bob I do agree with that exception EXCEPT a couple of words that I see in the original post:
We recently installed a 100A 120/240V 1phase MLO
This leads me to believe that this panel is about as new as the pool especially when I read the rest of the psot: :)
I see this exception that was allowed in order to allow relief in some cases being abused in order to save a couple of pennies for the installation of this pool. :)

iwire

Staff member

Mike I am with you on that, it sounds like it was all installed at the same time. :)

I was really just addressing this;

Would that not mean that any disconnect or panel that feeds any remote panel that could feed a pool any time in the future need to be in conduit.

jwelectric

Originally posted by iwire:
Mike I am with you on that, it sounds like it was all installed at the same time. :)

I was really just addressing this;

I understand my M.. :D uh.. uh.. friend
:D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.