Sub panel ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
My friend had his basement finished with a bedroom, living room, and bathroom. He asked me to come over today to fix a few things in the basement. I went to change over a bad breaker in the sub panel and noticed that they didnt run a ground to the panel. Also the sub panel was right up against a water pipe. Now the panel is connected to the main panel through a 1 1/4" Riged metal pipe. So my question is could they get away with not adding a ground since it is connected to to the main panel through a pipe? I really doubt it and the funny thing is that this panel was inspected and passed inspection?!?!?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
dSilanskas said:
My friend had his basement finished with a bedroom, living room, and bathroom. He asked me to come over today to fix a few things in the basement. I went to change over a bad breaker in the sub panel and noticed that they didnt run a ground to the panel. Also the sub panel was right up against a water pipe. Now the panel is connected to the main panel through a 1 1/4" Riged metal pipe. So my question is could they get away with not adding a ground since it is connected to to the main panel through a pipe? I really doubt it and the funny thing is that this panel was inspected and passed inspection?!?!?

The NEC allows the conduit to be used as the EGC. Its possible your area may have an amendment requring a wire be run.

The water pipe could be adjacent to the PB and still meet NEC requirements. I don't think it can be above or below it, but adjacent to it is ok. I think.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
dSilanskas said:
So my question is could they get away with not adding a ground since it is connected to to the main panel through a pipe?
Absolutely, but you still need to make sure the neutrals and neutral bus are isolated from the enclosure, and that the EGC's are bonded to the enclosure.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use metallic conduits for EGC's containing feeders to panels everyday. This is a common installation practice and when installed correctly it should never be a problem.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
walkerj said:
This was the ground for a 125 amp 3phase panel not installed properly

Nice photo, but shoddy work is shoddy work. There is no guarantee that this hack would correctly install the EGC either. Much of the reliability of electrical work revolves around the quality of the installation.

walkerj

infinity said:
Nice photo, but shoddy work is shoddy work. There is no guarantee that this hack would correctly install the EGC either. Much of the reliability of electrical work revolves around the quality of the installation.
I agree 100%

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
andinator said:
Why does the electrician in the original post have to be a Hack? Just asking.

Who said he was a hack? Not installing an EGC in metallic conduit is not hack work if the conduit is installed correctly.

cschmid

dSilanskas said:

This was the original question.. and this was a different photo of a disconnect from another install..

walkerj said:
This was the ground for a 125 amp 3phase panel not installed properly

View attachment 914

Where do we get to a hack from this..we do not know if there is a EGC is in there.. I dont agree with the sloopy job..

donselectric

are you serious. i could see if there was a gc installed and the locknuts
were loose but to punch out the side of a can and leave it that way.....well
the shoe fits. all that was needed was a few taps with the linesmens and
all would have been ok as long as bonding bushings were used..

:roll:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
donselectric said:
all that was needed was a few taps with the linesmens and
all would have been ok
:roll:

I was thinking the same thing. Not exactly a great deal of work to flatten out that KO.

cschmid

Ah I agree since I have all the tools to do job correctly..I just choose not to call an unknown person names..It is much better if we correct him/her to their face..No back stabbing allowed..:smile: :D..reminds me of a previous post..

Status
Not open for further replies.