Sub panel in attic ok ?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe there is no prohibition, but I personally would want at least a 3' sq. floor in front of it.

I'm not sure whether scuttle holes or flooring affect accessibility.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
240.24(A) requires circuit breakers to be readily accessible. The article 100 definition of "readily accessible" requires access without having "to resort to portable ladders." So circuit breakers in an attic accessed only by a scuttle hole are prohibited by 240.24(A).

A permanent ladder at the scuttle hole would resolve that issue. But readily accessible also requires access without having to "climb over or under" obstacles. You could reasonably say that would require flooring between the scuttle hole and the panel location.

Cheers, Wayne

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Not a code issue, but a practicality issue: if this attic gets _hot_ then you might have to deal with nuisance tripping. Remember that breakers respond to the heat generated by current, not to the current directly. Put a breaker in a hot ambient and it will trip at a lower current.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Not a code issue, but a practicality issue: if this attic gets _hot_ then you might have to deal with nuisance tripping. Remember that breakers respond to the heat generated by current, not to the current directly. Put a breaker in a hot ambient and it will trip at a lower current.
This very tall attic (new house) will have the roof sheeting spray foamed, so the climate will not be an issue.. however it sounds like the stair issue is a problem. There is a cat walk through the attic to clean some dormer windows.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I would also suggest a cat walk of sorts to allow access to the panel, wouldn't want to have to jump joists to get to the panel in an emerging situation.
You could use these:

I've put them in my attic, and they work great.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Is the "sub-panel" in attic an actual panel with multiple branch circuits emanating from it, or is it as some I've seen for use with a HVAC and air handler only?
Personally wouldn't even consider a panel in the attic unless it had full walk up access. Only would consider if it was acting to service a HVAC only. As a homeowner and a breaker tripping on a branch circuit in an attic for a bedroom or bath room below and access required getting a ladder from somewhere I'd be considering hunting down the contractor that put the panel in an ladder access attic and put the panel somewhere.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would probably say no, and tell you need flooring for the required work space, but unless you are on the 2023 code, I would not have a code section to cite.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
240.24(A) requires circuit breakers to be readily accessible. The article 100 definition of "readily accessible" requires access without having "to resort to portable ladders." So circuit breakers in an attic accessed only by a scuttle hole are prohibited by 240.24(A).

A permanent ladder at the scuttle hole would resolve that issue. But readily accessible also requires access without having to "climb over or under" obstacles. You could reasonably say that would require flooring between the scuttle hole and the panel location.

Cheers, Wayne
I would probably say no, and tell you need flooring for the required work space, but unless you are on the 2023 code, I would not have a code section to cite.
It is a ‘control panel’ sold by Infratech that will have two 30 amp breakers feeding two infrared heaters in a screened in porch. We are using the 2008 NEC code.